Zebra Stripe Fondant Cupcakes

Baking By saragurl239 Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 5:30pm by millermom

saragurl239 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saragurl239 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:43am
post #1 of 12

I am going to be making a dozen cupcakes with a fondant disc on top with a zebra pattern and some small red flowers. I am looking for some tips on how to apply the strips. Should I roll out some white fondant put the stripes on and then cut the discs out after the stripes are on? or should I apply the stripes after the discs are already on the cupcakes?
I will also be doing another dozen that will have the same type of red flower that is on the other cupcakes only bigger and I would like to put a zebra ball in the center to tie the 2 types of cupcakes together. Any tips on puting zebra stripes on a small ball?

11 replies
buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:53am
post #2 of 12

I did some zebra cupcakes recently like this. Instead of putting fondant strips on for the stripes, I painted them on top of the fondant after I applied it to the cupcakes. I find that has a nice effect.

HTH

saragurl239 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:11am
post #3 of 12

what did you use to paint them on with? I'm afraid of paint dying peoples lips lol

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:28am
post #4 of 12

I painted them too but before I put them on the cupcakes. I just dipped a wet brush into some black food color. Then I let them dry overnight & stuck them on. No black mouth or anything! icon_lol.gif
Here they are...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1873076

HTH! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:28am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saragurl239

what did you use to paint them on with? I'm afraid of paint dying peoples lips lol

LOOL that made my day... it will be a disaster though
I would go with applying the strips after applying the discs & ofcourse with the fondant strips...lol just in case icon_biggrin.gif

RedRoxx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedRoxx Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:28am
post #6 of 12

what about piping the stripes on? it might be a bit more work, but I think I personally like then better then painting them.

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:33am
post #7 of 12

I use gel colors. Yeah the mouth coloring is always an issue...even with fondant (believe me, I've tested it many times with black fondant...LOL). It's one of those cases where it's form over function. Anytime I use black for decroative purposes I advise my clients not to eat it.

It's just one of those things I can't get around.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:34am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrina

I painted them too but before I put them on the cupcakes. I just dipped a wet brush into some black food color. Then I let them dry overnight & stuck them on. No black mouth or anything! icon_lol.gif
Here they are...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1873076

HTH! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

those are beautifull & they dont look like paint at all ...your goood thumbs_up.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:42am
post #9 of 12

I made zebra stripe cookies for my daughter's class once (didn't post pics 'cause it was a last minute thing, and I didn't get any taken) But I rolled out the fondant, and put the black stripes on, then cut them out and put them on the cookies.

Went "slicker than snot!" icon_lol.gif

saragurl239 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:20pm
post #10 of 12

thanks for the advise everyone! Maybe I'll do a trial run before I make the actual cupcakes and see which technique works best for me. icon_biggrin.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:32pm
post #11 of 12

I did some recently and I rolled out the white fondant first a little thicker then normal, applied black strips of fondant and then rolled the black strips into the white so the black and white became one and then used my circle cutter to cut them out.

Since I was putting other things on top of the zebra print disc I liked that it was a flat smooth surface so it didn't take away from all the other things I had going on!

Here they are:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1933883

hope that helps!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:30pm
post #12 of 12

BCo,

I like that idea of rolling them together. I'll have to remember that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%