Fondant Or Marzipan?

Decorating By jessiqua7 Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 8:20pm by jessiqua7

jessiqua7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessiqua7 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,
I am making a birthday cake to look like a giant tire that is layed down on it's side. It's for a RC Car theme. I am going to decorate it with a bunch of RC Cars and such, but I have a few questions since I am a total beginner:

1. Which would be best to cover the entire circular cake when trying to make it look like a black tire? Fondant or Marzipan? (Should I use food coloring to paint on the tire or try to add food coloring to the dough?) It seems like I have to add a ton of food coloring to get the color I want and black is almost impossible but i see all kinds of cakes that are colored black.

2. I need to make a road way that is in the shape of a FIGURE 8, and is raised up in the middle so that cars can still go through the middle (underneath-create a bridge) Which is more durable or sturdy for something that needs to be able to stay stiff while spaning about 3-4 inches? Fondant or Marzipan?

Thank you for all your help and if you have any other suggestions for this project i really appriciate it!

5 replies
joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 6

Fondant. thumbs_up.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiqua7

Hi all,
I am making a birthday cake to look like a giant tire that is layed down on it's side. It's for a RC Car theme. I am going to decorate it with a bunch of RC Cars and such, but I have a few questions since I am a total beginner:

1. Which would be best to cover the entire circular cake when trying to make it look like a black tire? Fondant or Marzipan? (Should I use food coloring to paint on the tire or try to add food coloring to the dough?) It seems like I have to add a ton of food coloring to get the color I want and black is almost impossible but i see all kinds of cakes that are colored black.

2. I need to make a road way that is in the shape of a FIGURE 8, and is raised up in the middle so that cars can still go through the middle (underneath-create a bridge) Which is more durable or sturdy for something that needs to be able to stay stiff while spaning about 3-4 inches? Fondant or Marzipan?

Thank you for all your help and if you have any other suggestions for this project i really appriciate it!

MUST see pics of this cake when it's done!

Most people use premade black fondant. It tastes marginally better then trying to dye the fondant black.

Marzipan is great for figures or decorations that are actually going to be eaten and you want them to taste good. But it does not cover or stretch like fondant and takes some different techniques to use/handle. Depending on your location, the quantity of marzipan to make the type of stuff you are going to make would be a lot more expensive then just using fondant with tylose, 50/50 fondant gumpaste, or just gumpaste. All 3 options should give you the results you are looking for.

So my advice is to stick with fondant.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 6

Depends where you are located, in certain parts of Europe marzipan is the preferred norm for decorating. Fondant would be preferred elsewhere. As for anything black, buy it pre-coloured (red too)!

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 6

Homemade chocolate fondant using dark cocoa is pretty easy to dye black.

icon_smile.gif

jessiqua7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessiqua7 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the advice! I will post the cake when it's all finished. Wish me luck -haha icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%