I Guess It Is Just One Of Those Days...

Decorating By chrissypie Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 5:36pm by sweetmonkeycheese

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 18

I am so stuck on how to take my cake decorating skills to the next level! I do ok, I guess, but I can't create a cake that really wows! I look at all these amazing cakes on here I get so jealous because I want to be able to to do that as well. I don't do cakes for a living, just for a hobby, but I absolutely love cake decorating but I can't seem to progress passed the "bakery" look style cakes. I have so much equipment, spent so much money on DVD's, books, tools, etc. ( my husband thinks I am nuts), yet, I just can't do it! I would love to take some hands on classes but I can't afford the higher end ones. I have taken Wilton classes several times and that gave me a great base to start, but when I see these towering, neat, perfect confections, it gets me down! Am I just being crazy!

17 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 18

You are being crazy! Looks like you can do it allwhat specifically do you think you can't do?

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 18

We are our own worst critics icon_cry.gif I, too feel the same way...when will I ever get better??? It's going to take time and practice! You are on your way...keep up the good work. thumbs_up.gif

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 18

I feel the same way (esp today as there seems to be an inordinate amount of amazing cakes on display).

yodasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yodasmom Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 18

Wow am I right there with you Chrissypie! I have spent a ton on cake decorating supplies! I've had a lot of trial and error with all of them, but it's always fun! My husband is getting pretty ticked, but his hobby's are pretty expensive to so he can't say muchicon_smile.gif I think your cakes are great chrissypie! Keep on baking! I figure the more we experiment on our friends and family (they have to say its great) the better we will get!

thecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecook Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 18

I quess alot of us feel this way. I'm always a little embarrassed when I post a picture. They always look so sloppy compared to the other cakes posted that day. I am surprised whenanyone even takes the time to look at them! I'll keep working at it and learning from my mistakes because I enjoy the challenge.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 18

Chrissy, I see what you mean. You definately have flowers down to a science, I'm jealous. I can't make a rose to save my life! icon_smile.gif My wish is just the opposite of yours, wish I was better at the "bakery style" cakes; AKA: cakes with flowers.

Try this: Make a cake for no reason. Just for practice, find a recipe you have been wanting to try and/or a technique or two you have never done before but are interested in learning. Then research the heck out of it on here and give it a go.

Since it's a practice cake, there is no pressure if it doesn't go quite right.

I try something new on every cake, which means none of them go smoothly but something new is learned each time.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:11pm
post #8 of 18

I feel the same way. I tell myself I'm new to this so I can't expect to be perfect yet, but then I see awesome stuff done by people who say they've been doing it for a lesser amount of time then I have.

You're cakes are beautiful and professional looking to me. Are you talking about your style looking like bakery cakes? If that's the case, I agree with the PP about baking a cake for no reason other than practice. Pick one off this site or from a book or magazine, whatever you like and makes you wish you had that kind of style, and see if you can emulate it. I usually see cakes on here that give me inspiration and I try them out, but change things here and there to give it a bit of my own flair.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 18

I feel EXACTLY the same way...I've spent a small fortune but am I really any good at this at all???

I've tried many techniques (fondant, gumpaste, chocolate transfers, tiered cakes, RKT etc) and I think there is a little creativity there for a newbie, but I just can't seem to get them smooth and level which is the most important part! icon_redface.gif

Heck, I'm still trying to get my photos uploaded so I can get a few critiques!!!

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 18

I find myself in the same situation as the OP; being 'just a hobby baker', I don't get the requests to do the cakes that stretch my imagination and creativity. So here's what I do: I create the cakes that challenge me and that I try new techniques on for my family and close friends. The ones in my photos that I am most proud of are indeed those cakes. It has been great for my confidence level as well. For years I felt like I was stuck doing 'cookie cutter cakes'. Now I feel like my portfolio of work has grown such that I'm getting those special requests from actual paying clients. It's taken me a while (I've actually been doing cakes for close to 20 years); but what I have learned/gained along the way is pricelessicon_smile.gif

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 18

first off, your cakes are beautiful! like herekittykitty said, i can't make a rose to save my life lol! that being said, i noticed most of your cakes are buttercream. if you look through "most saved", a great deal of those cakes are fondant. i'm not saying either is better, but maybe if you practiced with fondant you'd get more of the results you want? also, if you don't want to keep baking just for practice, order some dummies! they can be used over and over and its super easy to make a 5 tier cake w/o worrying about settling or structural support icon_wink.gif play around with new techniques, or if you see a cake you like try and replicate it. you're a great decorator, just have fun with it and before you know it you'll be proud to upload any picture icon_biggrin.gif

chrissypie Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 18

Wow! Thank you guys for responding! Your tips and ideas are all so great! I do think I really need to just do more for practice so there is no pressure or anything. I wish I could have the self confidence to push myself. I fear I am too critical on myself. I think I will start this weekend on something new and different. I appreciate your comments more than you know.

chrissypie Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:22pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

You are being crazy! Looks like you can do it allwhat specifically do you think you can't do?

Thank you! But.. LOL! I wish I could do tiered cakes. I also would like to try a daring topsy turvy design. I was looking at all those amazing cat in the hat cakes that were on the site the last few days, and my jaw was hanging! LOL! I wouldn't even know where to start with something like that!

chrissypie Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:26pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_architect

first off, your cakes are beautiful! like herekittykitty said, i can't make a rose to save my life lol! that being said, i noticed most of your cakes are buttercream. if you look through "most saved", a great deal of those cakes are fondant. i'm not saying either is better, but maybe if you practiced with fondant you'd get more of the results you want? also, if you don't want to keep baking just for practice, order some dummies! they can be used over and over and its super easy to make a 5 tier cake w/o worrying about settling or structural support icon_wink.gif play around with new techniques, or if you see a cake you like try and replicate it. you're a great decorator, just have fun with it and before you know it you'll be proud to upload any picture icon_biggrin.gif

Good idea! I should do dummies. ( feel silly I didn't think of that!) Yes, fondant and me don't mix! LOL! I always get a lumpy cake with a buttercream line where the layers meet. Still working on trying to figure out what to put on the cake under the fondant. I haven't tried ganache yet because it seems so costly,

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:28pm
post #15 of 18

LOL! I'm with you. If anyone asked me to do a topsy turvey the answer would be Yeah... No. Not quite ready to take that project on yet. icon_wink.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:31pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

Thank you! But.. LOL! I wish I could do tiered cakes. I also would like to try a daring topsy turvy design. I was looking at all those amazing cat in the hat cakes that were on the site the last few days, and my jaw was hanging! LOL! I wouldn't even know where to start with something like that!

Your tiered cakes are lovely... don't know why you're questioning your skill level. When you're ready to try a topsy turvy, I have no doubt that you'll do just fineyou've got the talent. Have fun with it!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 12:19am
post #17 of 18

With dummies, you have all the time in the world to work on the "cake." You don't have to worry about spoilage and your edges are already straight. When you just can't figure out why you can't get the top edge to look right, you can walk away, do some research, and come back to it.

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:36pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

I have so much equipment, spent so much money on DVD's, books, tools, etc. ( my husband thinks I am nuts), yet, I just can't do it! I would love to take some hands on classes but I can't afford the higher end ones.

depending on how much the "high end ones" are rethink it it.. what good are all the other tools that you have bought if you dont have the right tool.. knowledge. The high end classes might give you a better tool than all the ones you have bought so far! Think of it as just that a tool, it's not a luxury item. Plus, you want to fully maximize the investment you have made in all the other tools you have already bought, can't do that with out a complete knowledge.

could ask around to any of the local bakers to see if they would (for a fee) teach a private class to just you. I am sure many won't but there might be a few that are willing to make some extra money on like a tuesday night (or whatever night is there least busy day)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%