Fondant Discs On Cupcakes?

Baking By creationsbylisa Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 4:38pm by Marianna46

creationsbylisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creationsbylisa Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 6

I've got an order for 2 dz Jessie (toy story) cupcakes this weekend and they want the fondant discs on top. I've not done this before so I have a couple questions.
I assume I have to level off the tops, right?
Also assuming that I put a layer of bc down 1st, just like with a reg cake, right?

And finally, I know it's not quite the right section, but does anyone have any good ideas for the actual decoration? I'm thinking cow spots, ropes and hats. That's all I can think of right now. I'd appreciate suggestion!
Thanks!

5 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 6

I do fondant discs on cupcakes and cookies just like I do them on cakes (I generally use ganache instead of buttercream because of the hot, humid climate where I live). If you want something simpler, I've actually just brushed a thin layer of strained apricot jam or even a little Karo syrup over the top of the cupcake instead of the buttercream or ganache (all you need is a little something to moisten the surface so the fondant will stick), but I admit I like the taste better if there's another layer of something between the fondant and the cupcake. You could level the tops of your cupcakes, but you don't really need to - you know how easy it is to get fondant to take the shape of whatever it is you're working on, so it would really be up to you how you wanted them to look. I think your decorating ideas are right on the mark for Jessie cupcakes. I think they'll be adorable!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 6

But, of course, Cupcations! The perfect tutorial for this! Thanks for posting the link.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 6

I know this is really late but these are the Toy Story Cupcakes I just made

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1964717

Marianna46 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 6

Really cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%