Different Fondant Colors?

Decorating By kimmicakes Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 8:37pm by kimmicakes

kimmicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmicakes Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone!

I'm brand new to this site and brand new to cake decorating. I really have taken a huge interest in it lately and have just been having a blast with the few cakes I've done so far. I'm actually right now baking a cake to serve 14. We're celebrating the March babies in my family in a couple of weeks and my family absolutely loves Disney, so I'm doing a Mickey/Minnie hat cake. The picture in my mind is a simple 2 layer 9" round cake, covered with bc and then covered in fondant. I've already made the miniature hats out of gumpaste that I will place on top of the cake. So I'm thinking the top half of the cake would be black and the bottom half red (or vice versa...haven't decided on that detail yet), but my question is, how can I do this in a clean way with the 2 different colors? Should I cover the whole cake in the top half's color and then add a strip of the different color on the bottom half? Or should I bc the whole thing in the top color and then add a strip of fondant for the bottom? Or, do you just cover the top half with that color and then cover the bottom with the other color, therefore having to make sure it's all cut evenly? I hope this question isn't too confusing! In other words, how would you suggest I do the 2 different colors while keeping it looking clean? icon_biggrin.gif Thank you so much for any advice you may have!!

2 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 3

The easiest way to do it as you want would be to cover the whole cake in black, then add a strip of red fondant to the bottom. Make a long sausage of red, flatten slightly, roll out evenly, cut to your desired width with a sharp knife and ruler (so you get parallel edges), then roll it up like a bandage. Present one end of your "bandage" to the cake (previously moistened with water), and unroll/stick as you go around. Use a sharp knife to cut the end off when it is on the cake, and blend in to the starting end.
I find it best to make the strip rolling out on Crisco, otherwise the bandage will stick to itself when you roll it up, and cornstarch or PS will leave white powder on your red.

You guys are going to have black and red tongues icon_biggrin.gif

kimmicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmicakes Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much! Haha, so funny about the tongues. Most of us adults tend to not really eat frosting but the kids? We parents are going to have a great time washing them up! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%