Where To Get Sturdy Thicker Cake Boards

Decorating By KellyJo3 Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 4:00am by tryingcake

KellyJo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyJo3 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:26am
post #1 of 11

I was wondering where I could purchase either from the internet or from a store, some sturdy and thicker cake boards. The only cake boards I have found were those really thin cardboard ones that barely hold the weight of my cakes. I am afraid to order off the internet because I am not sure of their thickness. Also I was hoping to find ones that are as cheap as possible so I didn't have to ask customer's for them back. Cardboard is fine as long as it's thicker, I can always put decorative foil on it. Also if anyone makes thier own and would like to share, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

10 replies
sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:47am
post #2 of 11

If I have a heavier cake, I just double up and use two cake boards, or three if need be and I don't have to worry about getting my 1/2" drums back. Works great! I just stack them and cover with my foil and don't ever have any issues. HTH!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:47am
post #3 of 11

Buy the 1/2" foam core boards at michales and ac moore, etc. I think some dollar stores have it. Cut it with a box opener, some use x-acto knifes, some electric foam cutters,etc. Many on this site do this same thing. I buy the 3/16" thick also. so check this out. I use them alot.I think they come 20"x30" and then the different thickness.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:53am
post #4 of 11

They're called cake drums (thicknesses are specified on the sites):
http://cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_sresults.html
http://www.bakedeco.com/nav/search.asp
http://www.vikingimporting.com/index.php?cPath=146
or you can make your own using foamcore or several thicknesses of corrugated cardboard covered with colored foil, but keep in mind that colored foil might not be foodsafe which doesn't matter as long as you're placing each cake on its own corrugated cardboard anyway.

Don't ask for cardboard cake circles/drums to be returned... they are disposable. Would you like it if your favorite pizza joint asked for you to return the cardboard circle so they could re-use it again?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:09am
post #5 of 11

Stack 3 boards together, alternating the grain. Tape them together with masking tape all the way around and then cover with paper, foil or fondant.
By alternating the grain the boards are stronger and are less likely to bend under the weight of the cake.

KellyJo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyJo3 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:35am
post #6 of 11

Thanks everyone, great advise!!

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 1:47am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Stack 3 boards together, alternating the grain. Tape them together with masking tape all the way around and then cover with paper, foil or fondant.
By alternating the grain the boards are stronger and are less likely to bend under the weight of the cake.

Thanks! this is great to know!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:54am
post #8 of 11

i love the ones from BRPboxshop.com The silver or gold foil ones i use for my bases, and then i use the white one when i'm stacking tiers and they won't be seen.

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:05am
post #9 of 11

Kelly, we get some of our boards 1/2 sheet, from SAM'S club. Go to the bakery and they will order them for you.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:10am
post #10 of 11

For 3 tiers and less, I just take 4-5 of the regular cake boards, tape them together with the grains alternating directions...and then its a nice thick board to wrap, and quite sturdy.

For more than 3 tiers I order the Nova wood boards from Oasis Supply (they are local for me)...they are a very sturdy thick wood board and they are like $10 but then if I'm doing a 4 tier or more cake, the price of the cake pays for it and I don't need to ask for it back.

For odd shaped boards I cut the 1/2" foam core. The big candy Bat Mitzvah cake I just did, I doubled up foam core so I had a 1" base for the heavy cake.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:00am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Ditto. ALL my cakes have at least two (it just looks better). Many have three and some four (just for the look). Cake drums are too expensive. This works, just as sturdy and at least half the price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%