Fresh Ideas Needed For Firefighter Cake

Decorating By mom2twogrlz Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 4:24am by mom2twogrlz

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all,

I am making a cake for my husband's going away party this week. I know, last minute, but I thought we weren't doing cake since we are so busy. Well, he changed his mind and asked today what I will be making for the party on Friday. OOPS!!!! We will be out of town on Thursday all day/night on Thursday and the party starts at 3:00pm on Friday. And I have another cake due Wednesday night, also last minute. (My friends and family like to wait til the last minute to plan parties icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif ).

Anyway, I have already made him a helmet cake and a fire hydrant cake, and for other friends I have made the rolled up hose and a burning building. So I don't really want to do those again. But I am at a loss for ideas.

Do any of you wonderfully creative cake artisits have any ideas for me? It needs to be fairly simple, or a design where most of the work can be done tomorrow and just final assembly on Firday. Thanks so much to anyone who can help me out.

6 replies
mom2twogrlz Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 7

I forgot to mention, he took a position with another fire department, so he will be leaving the rank of engineer to be a rookie firefighter again. I would like to incorporate that also.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:40am
post #3 of 7

Not sure how good you are with figures, but what about a figure sliding down the pole? You could have a round cake on the bottom and use a lolllipop stick for the middle of the pole (for strength and hold) with gumpaste built around it. You don't even have to color it. To symbolize his change in rank, you could have him tossing something and/or grabbing a regular firefighter helmet (or something like that - you get the idea?) If you don't have the skill or time, then maybe just buy a figure? Hopefully this will get your ideas flowing, anyway.... Good luck - please post photos after!

PS: I would be telling my friends and family that I need more notice or no cake!

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:58am
post #4 of 7

Sounds to me the only thing representing a firehouse you haven't done is a dalmation!

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:02am
post #5 of 7

I am actually doing one this week. Two tier. Bottom layer (iced in yellow buttercream) is divided in quarters with 3 stripes (simple black in middle, small red from one of my molds on each side) This will leave a larger divided section that I will photocopying fire dept. patches to put in each section. Top tier (iced in white buttercream) will be surrounded with flames (red, yellow, and orange) from fondant and buttercream. On top, I will be making a small helmet. If time permits, I will make a fire hydrant with an attached firehose to put on the top edge of the bottom layer. This is being made for a fire department graduate.

mom2twogrlz Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:04am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

Not sure how good you are with figures, but what about a figure sliding down the pole? You could have a round cake on the bottom and use a lolllipop stick for the middle of the pole (for strength and hold) with gumpaste built around it. You don't even have to color it. To symbolize his change in rank, you could have him tossing something and/or grabbing a regular firefighter helmet (or something like that - you get the idea?) If you don't have the skill or time, then maybe just buy a figure? Hopefully this will get your ideas flowing, anyway.... Good luck - please post photos after!

PS: I would be telling my friends and family that I need more notice or no cake!

HUMMM.....I like that idea, and I could do it before like I want. The only think I am worried about is the reference to "pole dancing"...guys can be brutal!!! LOL icon_lol.gif

I really want to do one of those carved "road you've traveled" cakes, but I am afraid I won't have time to mess with the carving.

Any ideas on how to do this with a little less carving. Maybe RKT as the road around the cake? But I would still have to cover that in fondant and make the fire engine....UGGG!!!!!

And if it wasn't for my hubby and one of my bestest friends, I would have said no. I am having to do that more often these days.

mom2twogrlz Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:24am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmomof1

I am actually doing one this week. Two tier. Bottom layer (iced in yellow buttercream) is divided in quarters with 3 stripes (simple black in middle, small red from one of my molds on each side) This will leave a larger divided section that I will photocopying fire dept. patches to put in each section. Top tier (iced in white buttercream) will be surrounded with flames (red, yellow, and orange) from fondant and buttercream. On top, I will be making a small helmet. If time permits, I will make a fire hydrant with an attached firehose to put on the top edge of the bottom layer. This is being made for a fire department graduate.

I like that idea too. I could do the 4 different jobs he has held with the different departments in each "compartment".

Thanks for the great ideas. Any more out there?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%