Australian Christmas / Wedding Fruit Cake?

Baking By Frecklysmom Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 11:37am by mmmmmmmmcake1954

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 8

I am needing to find a good recipe for a traditional Australian Christmas fruit cake for a 10" tier of a wedding cake. I have a bride from Australia that is coming to Wyoming to get married. The recipes I have found indicate that each 10" cake will weigh about 9 pounds! Can this be right? I have searched the forums here for information but have not found anything. If any of you have a tried and true traditional recipe appropriate for a wedding cake, please share it with me! Any input would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

7 replies
Cake_Karen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Karen Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 8

I dont know the qty you would need to make a 10" cake from the recipe I use cause when I make my fruit cakes I just make up a large batch and do most of it by eye but I have found this which may help you.

http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Britain/Food/Cooking/FruitCake.htm

I assume that and English fruit cake is the same as an Australian one.

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 8

Karen - Thank you! How full do you fill the pans? Do they rise much? This looks like a great recipe.

Cake_Karen Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 12:02am
post #4 of 8

A fruit cake does not rise up very much at all. When I make mine in a 3" deep cake tin I usually fill the tin to about 2 1/2".
Also dont worry about the gravy browning I dont put that in mine (Its only to make the cake a darker colour) and reading it again one other change that I would do is I dont use caster sugar and Muscovado I just use a dark brown suger for the full amount and this will make a nice dark cake. If you can not get the black treacle again this is no big deal just another thing to make the cake darker in colour.

Cake_Karen Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 12:14am
post #5 of 8

Just thought I had better add that if you are using this cake as a tier to a wedding cake then it HAS to be the bottom tier.
Under no circumstances put this cake on top of a sponge cake.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 10:50am
post #6 of 8

A wedding cake is very rich: this one http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/11889/normas+rich+fruit+cake is a good traditional one ...

The undressed cake will be over 10lb - add the rolled fondant, another 4-5lb, and the cake will be heavy ..

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:26am
post #7 of 8

Hi Freckleysmom, I'm from the UK and got married last year, I used this recipe from Delia Smith for my 3 tier wedding cake and had great feedback from everyone! HTH. thumbs_up.gif

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/baking/scaling-up-recipes.html

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:37am
post #8 of 8

icon_rolleyes.gif Forgot to say I also use this recipe for my Christmas cakes that I make for family and friends - and get asked every Christmas for a repeat!! But as Cake_Karen says if you are making any of the tiers out of sponge etc. make sure that the bottom tier is the fruit cake - as they are heavy in weight. I had all 3 tiers of my wedding cake made from this recipe, but made sure that I placed dowels in the bottom 2 tiers. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%