Experimenting With Cupcakes...question On Using Cookies

Baking By love2box Updated 22 Apr 2011 , 12:46am by corpsequeen

love2box Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2box Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 26

I have recently had this newfound interest in trying my hand at making different flavored cupcakes (I am a novice baker). I saw these cupcakes that had cookies on the bottom of the liner as a 'crust' and then the cupcake and frosting. The one inparticular had a GS Thin Mint (yum!) But, I've also saw one with an Oreo on the bottom and a CChip cookie.

Does anyone know how this is done? Wouldn't the cookie burn? Does the cookie soften up then baking?

I also see a lot of recipes that seem to use a standard basic base recipe and then they make different flavored cakes out of this one base. How is that done? An example would be great, just so I can understand the process.

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I tried a search but maybe I'm not using the correct words or phrases when searching.

25 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 26

I've never heard of that, but it does sound tasty!! I know in the buttercream class I'm teaching now we have one student who brought in cupcakes and used an Oreo for the center of a sunflower on top of the cupcake. They were darling!!!

Best suggestion -- experiment, take lots of notes and let us know what happens!! icon_biggrin.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 26

I have heard of inserting cookies into the center of the cupcake batter before baking, but I have never heard of putting it in the bottom of the liner. But I don't suppose it would be any different. I would think that a chocolate covered cookie on the bottom could be a little messy though. Like Bob says, do some experimenting and let us know how it turns out. As far as your cake base, you may want to check out this site http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cake-mixes-from-scratch-and-variations/Detail.aspx[url]

SophisticatedSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophisticatedSweets Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 26

I want to hear about this! As the above poster's said I want to hear how that went!

One of my speciality cupcakes is filling the liners half full and then putting a tablespoon of cookie dough in and baking at 350 degrees until done. One of my most requested items!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 26

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7064039.html

Someone in this thread made the oreo cupcakes. She said cookie doesn't get soggy at all.

love2box Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 26

Hmm, I did read the one post about the oreo but I guess I missed the discussion further down about people actually trying it. I guess I'm just going to have to experiment. I'll let you know how it turns out icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone!

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 12:17am
post #7 of 26

I have done this with graham crackers, oreos and mint cookies. I don't use a whole cookie but make crumbs. I add a little butter to whatever type crumbs, put them in the bottom of the liner and smush it done with the bottom of a glass. I pre-bake the cookie filled liners for 5 minutes and then add whatever cupcake batter and bake as I normally would.

Laurelj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurelj Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:00am
post #8 of 26

I have used Oreo cookies and also pecan sandies as a base for cupcake cheesecakes. They do not burn and get somewhat crispy like a crust. They are very good and tasty. Think it would probably be very much the same for a regular cupcake. Put the cookie at the bottom of the liner cupcake batter on top, bake and enjoy!

love2box Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:25am
post #9 of 26

dah12345--so it sounds like you make a crust, like you would a cheesecake, is that correct? That does seem like it would take care of the cookie being soft, that I was concerned about. I look forward to trying it!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 1:50am
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophisticatedSweets

I want to hear about this! As the above poster's said I want to hear how that went!

One of my speciality cupcakes is filling the liners half full and then putting a tablespoon of cookie dough in and baking at 350 degrees until done. One of my most requested items!

Does the cookie dough bake? It must. Does it stay soft? Chocolate chip or sugar dough? I am envisioning chocolate chip for some reason.

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:24am
post #11 of 26

I make Oreo cupcakes all the time, not with the cookie on the bottom but in the middle. I use chocolate cake and put a spoonful of batter in each liner, enough to cover the bottom. Then add the cookies and add more batter, making sure the cookie is completly covered. Then I bake like normal until a toothpick comes out clean. The cookies soften but don't get mushy and occasionally you get crispy bits of Oreo. I usually frost with chocolate frosting and roll in crushed Oreo. Very tasty!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:12am
post #12 of 26

I was thinking, how about a Nilla Wafer on the bottom, banana cake and vanilla frosting for a bananas foster sort of cupcake? (I'm making myself hungry!) icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 8:10am
post #13 of 26

You need to check out one of my favorite sites, bakeitinacake.com. Sorry, I don't know how to make it a link. This is a fascinating site. She puts everything she can think of inside a cupcake. I am working on putting a lemon pie in the middle of a cupcake for a lemon meringue pie cupcake. I got the idea from her.

ILoveDaffodils Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:25pm
post #14 of 26

love2box - yes it is like a crust - that is the best way to describe it. icon_smile.gif

bobwoderbuns - love the banana foster idea. I think I will try that one next.

corpsequeen - when you put the cookies in the middle, how big are the pieces? Like crumbs or chunks?

corpsequeen Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:19am
post #15 of 26

I put the whole cookie in! Here is a picture of one split open http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1846520

love2box Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:26am
post #16 of 26

scp1127-Can't thank you enough for the website. It is awesome!

So...I did my experiment today. I used a devils food cake with GS thin mint and frosting with a mint frosting.

3 samples: crumbled "crust" like dah12345 mentioned; whole cookie on the bottom; and whole cookie in the middle.

Results: the 'crust'was good, turned out well.; whole cookie on the bottom-was okay but the liner was drenched with oil from the cookie; whole cookie in the middle-turned out good. I would definitely use the crust and middle again.

I also tried putting mini reeses cups in the middle...they disappeared icon_smile.gif I used 3 samples: room temp, frozen, frig--they all melted into the cake. Guess I should probably use the big version if I try it again icon_smile.gif

Laurelj: I SO want to try the pecan sandies; I LOVE them. I'll have to figure out what cake and frosting would be good with them icon_smile.gif

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:47am
post #17 of 26

Banana cake and caramel frosting would be REALLY good with pecan sandies!!

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:08am
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2box

I have recently had this newfound interest in trying my hand at making different flavored cupcakes (I am a novice baker). I saw these cupcakes that had cookies on the bottom of the liner as a 'crust' and then the cupcake and frosting. The one inparticular had a GS Thin Mint (yum!) But, I've also saw one with an Oreo on the bottom and a CChip cookie.

Does anyone know how this is done? Wouldn't the cookie burn? Does the cookie soften up then baking?

Someone may have already answered this, but I didn't read all the answers.

I've done this several times. IT IS SOOO GOOD!

I use the Chips Ahoy Chewy (Soft an d Chewy, I think). They fit perfectly in the bottom of a standard size cupcake liner.

Drop in the bottom, fill with your batter (any old flavor) and bake as usual. No special directions required.

Quote:
Quote:

I also see a lot of recipes that seem to use a standard basic base recipe and then they make different flavored cakes out of this one base. How is that done? An example would be great, just so I can understand the process.

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I tried a search but maybe I'm not using the correct words or phrases when searching.

[/quote]

Check this out:

I made these for a couple of friends.

tryingcake Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 4:13am
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

Banana cake and caramel frosting would be REALLY good with pecan sandies!!

That sounds good!! I'm all over it!

ILoveDaffodils Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 11:10pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsequeen

I put the whole cookie in! Here is a picture of one split open http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1846520

Thanks! That looks delicious. I will try it very soon.

Purpleivey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Purpleivey Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:23am
post #21 of 26

I put the cookie in the bottom of the liner and just pour the batter over it. It doesn't get soggy or burn. I have even done it with Reeses peanut butter cups and they come out fine too. It's awesome, try it and you won't be disappointed. I also crush oreo's and fold them into my buttercream.

tryingcake Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:39am
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleivey

I put the cookie in the bottom of the liner and just pour the batter over it. It doesn't get soggy or burn. I have even done it with Reeses peanut butter cups and they come out fine too. It's awesome, try it and you won't be disappointed. I also crush oreo's and fold them into my buttercream.

I knew about cookies in the bottoms of cupcake liners and even Oreos in batter and icing...

But I didn't think about Reese's cups keeping their shape. Makes sense though since they keep their integrity in cookies. Now I gotta do this!!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:42am
post #23 of 26

In case anybody missed the link SCP1127 put in, here it is. Thank you, SCP1127, it looks really fun.

www.bakeitinacake.com

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 5:05am
post #24 of 26

When I put thin mints in my cuppies I add a little batter on the bottom then put the cookie in, then fill with more batter. So goooooooood!

love2box Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:46pm
post #25 of 26

purpleivey--I tried the Reese's, but I used the really mini ones--didn't turn out so great--they melted into nothing-ness icon_smile.gif I figured the big ones would hold up but I just haven't tried it.

So far I have tried:

Thin mints: LOVE IT! with the cookie in the bottom, middle and crushed like a crust. I think the one in the middle holds up best. Because of the oil in the cookie, the liners were really greasy when put in the bottom.

Trix cereal: not so great. I did samples of crushed in the bottom and mixed into the batter. That cereal is just chewy. I don't think that type of cereal is really usable.

Oreos: baked into brownies; liked them okay. I think the chocolate brownie overpowered the oreo which took away from the yummy oreo flavor. I will try it in cupcakes still.

My next venture: something with Chocolate Cheerios since I have a box that my kids won't eat. I'm also trying to figure out the best way to get real cheesecake in the middle of a red velvet cupcake. I don't want frosting or a filling; I'd rather have the actual cheesecake consistency.

corpsequeen Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 12:46am
post #26 of 26

Yum, if you work out the cheesecake one let us know! :p sounds sooo good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%