W...you Ought To Be Ashamed!

Decorating By sweetlayers Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 2:39am by corpsequeen

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:36am
post #1 of 16

Now I usually don't complain about Wilton, but they ought to be ashamed of the boxes they sell!

Today, I had to buy one for a last minute order and when I gave the box (with the cake in it) to the waiter at the restaurant, the box came apart and waiter almost dropped it! I literally had the catch the cake in mid-air and put the box back together only to have it unravel again! That box cost almost $3. But almost OOST me $140.

tisk, tisk, tisk with my finger wagging!...Wilton Industries, you ought to be ashamed! thumbsdown.gif

15 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:52am
post #2 of 16

I am laughing , sorry. I don,t usually complain either , but you are SO RIGHT!!! I hate their boxes. If and when i do use one, when i put it together, i tape it everywhere. but still doesn,t make up for the flimsiness(sp) . I have been wanting to write them about it and also complain to the managers at michaels. I am completely out of a box, when i realize , i HAVE GOT TO GET ONE OF WILTONS.

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:58am
post #3 of 16

Some wise person on this forum once said something like this...and it's SO TRUE. "You think Wilton's products are good, until you realize there's something much better". And there is. The pans are good, until you try another brand and compare. It's true of most, if not all of their products. And they don't come cheap either!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:00am
post #4 of 16

The ones at my local cake supply shop are only marginally better. I tape the flaps on the Wilton boxes but don't have to on the ones from the cake store. It makes me wonder if the boxes from the suggested stores on here are any better.

JPMitchell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPMitchell Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:15am
post #5 of 16

Same here!!! I always have to tape their boxes on the sizes and be extra careful!! Because the sides pop out wayyy to easy, I've never had problems with any other boxes thought!!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:22am
post #6 of 16

I always tape all the flaps on my cake boxes and I cut foam core to fit snug in the bottom of the box as well. That way I know that the cake has a much better chance of making to the destination. I also use pieces of the non-skid matting to put the cake box on and pass that on to the client as well. Other than that I can't be responsible if something happens after they take possession of the cake. But at least I know I did everything I could to stabilize the delivery process. icon_wink.gif

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:39am
post #7 of 16

I don't like any of those boxes...Wilton or other brand. I totally agree with you all...I use about a half of roll of tape just to keep the box closed ...l0l But I have been blessed to find two local cake supply stores that carry the carriers just like you see the grocery stores put their sheet cakes in. I love those...not only are they more sturdy but the cakes stays fresh longer for the customers.

the carriers are almost fool proof. I don't worry about delivering with them or the customer. In the card board boxes I'm stressing all the way ...and I've tried the non skid mats underneath tape etc...but always worry about the "what if"

Thank you for venting cause I was thinking about this earlier icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:56am
post #8 of 16

I don't know about the boxes, but I had a client who bought me some of the Wilton boards because she wanted a specific size and thought she'd need to get it for me. They were the flimsiest things I'd ever felt. I couldn't believe that they were intended to support a cake, because there's no way they'd hold up. I'm talking about the silver foil covered drums, not the cardboard rounds. Which also stink, by the way.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 5:51am
post #9 of 16

Oh absolutely agree! I used to have my local cake supply shop order me boxes by the 100's ($0.25/box thru her or $1.45 at Michael's!). One time I ran out of a size I needed and ran over to walmart and grabbed a wilton brand box. omg, it was like putting the cake in a box made of tissue paper!!! Never ever EVER did I buy a wilton box again! I swore if I ever allowed myself to run out, I'd drive an extra 1/2 mile down the road and buy a box from the U-Haul guy!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 6:14am
post #10 of 16

also there gumpaste lately everytime I buy it the top of it is hard as arock and has to be tossed.....thats bs too

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 6:16am
post #11 of 16

I get my boxes from my local party supply store. I will NEVER buy another Wilton Box. They are so cheap and generic. I put to much work into the cake to risk it over a stupid flimsy box.

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 6:35am
post #12 of 16

Not boxes but still wilton...... I needed to make gray fondant last night. Figured it would only take a few drops of black wilton gel (didn't have time to oder more black so just got Wilton from the store) Guess what colour fondant I ended up with.......teal green!!! I was so mad. I wasted so much fondant. NEVER AGAIN!! will i buy anything wilton, almost everything I have used does not do or stand up to what it should.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 7:04am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodiegoddess

Not boxes but still wilton...... I needed to make gray fondant last night. Figured it would only take a few drops of black wilton gel (didn't have time to oder more black so just got Wilton from the store) Guess what colour fondant I ended up with.......teal green!!! I was so mad. I wasted so much fondant. NEVER AGAIN!! will i buy anything wilton, almost everything I have used does not do or stand up to what it should.

I've never seen that. Wow that is something I gotta tell my students. I just used Wilton's fondant & color...I had to make black. I actually used less color that I thought. I wonder what made it teal ... Makes me wonder what are the base colors used to make black

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 7:16am
post #14 of 16

I fear those boxes, I thought it was me being nervous, I always staple the flaps together with my mini stapler(LOL)! I make sure that the close part the staple is to the outside of box and use a staple remover myself only on the front two flaps and remove the cake. Don't trust letting others take the staples out.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 7:56am
post #15 of 16

I can use the Wilton cardboard rounds and rectangles because I use BRP boxes. My cake supply store is 20 minutes away and Michaels is 5 minutes, so I sometimes use them.

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:39am
post #16 of 16

I use the Wilton boxes all the time because I haven't yet found a place to get them cheaper. I've never had any problems with them.. I ALWAYS tell the customer to support the cake from the bottom. Never heard any issues after they leave my hands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%