Why Why Why Do I Always Have Air Bubbles In My Fondant??

Decorating By kello Updated 6 Mar 2011 , 9:52pm by kello

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 11

No matter what I do, I always have air bubbles in my fondant when rolling it out. I've tried microwaving it to soften and it happens. I don't nuke it and it happens. Am I kneading it too much? kneading it wrong? (is that possible?)
Cake drums look awful when I put the fondant on.

Any tips for a really smooth fondant? BTW, I make my own, MMF and MFF

Thanks.

10 replies
sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 11

Air bubbles on the cake or when rolling?

Sometimes when kneading you knead air into your fondant. Stick with pin, push out, and smooth.

On a cake they are caused by air escaping during the settling process. To fix, poke with pin, push out and release. Pushing the pin in at a diagnal makes it easier to cover the hole. To avoid this, allow cake time to settle so all air escapes prior to fondant-ing.

HTH!

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:29am
post #3 of 11

Kneading with too much "folding" will cause the air bubbles. Try not to fold the fondant onto itself while kneading. It's a bit tricky, but it does help.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 7:18am
post #4 of 11

How do you knead without folding? I push the fondant out with the heel of my hand and pull it back with my fingers- is that the kind of folding you're talking about?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 11

Here's how I knead without folding... Push out with the heel of hand. Stand stretched fondant up on it's side. Push down. Turn. Repeat. It doesn't prevent bubbles 100%, but it keeps them to a minimum.

kello Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 11

Yes, it's the air while rolling out the fondant. I was folding it on itself. It's the only way I have done it. (like bread dough) I will try to not fold it so much. I have used a pin to 'pop' them, but there are so many small bubbles and it does leave holes that I can't seem to cover so well.
Thanks for the tips on kneading. I will definitely try them.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 11

Covering a too cold cake can cause them too.

mrsb37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsb37 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 11

Bubbles happen to us all...pop those suckers and keep making those beautiful cakes! icon_smile.gif

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 11

I think I need to see a video on how to knead without bubbles, I have the same problem too. Interestingly, I only have the problem with fondant which has candy clay mixed in. Plain fondant doesn't cause bubbles for me.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 11

I also knead my mmf like bread, and I have never had this issue. Curious. What is your recipe for MMF. Could it be something your adding that I am not? I use only marshmallows, water, flavoring, and powdered sugar. Oh, and I never use cornstarch. Only small amounts of shortening to roll out or knead.

kello Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 11

I would love a video too!
Those are the ingredients I use for MMF. I never use cornstarch either. I've tried to figure it out, but just haven't!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%