Help!! 2:30Am, Wonky Border, Need Advice

Decorating By schnumvf Updated 6 Mar 2011 , 2:24pm by schnumvf

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:36am
post #1 of 10

I'm making a 3-tiered drum cake. The body of the drum is silver and the edges are green (which I think is ugly and I tried to convince the customer to reverse the colors but they didn't want to). Anyway, I guess that doesn't matter. My problem is that my green "border" is all wonky. I can't for the life of me get it to look crisp and straight around the cake. I'm rolling out fondant and cutting with a wilton .... something. (It's like a rolling cutter thing that you can adjust various inches) (sorry, I'm tired) My fondant is consistant when cut but when I get it to the cake (no stretching) I can't keep it from looking like a roller coaster. When I look at it all I can think of is cake wrecks.

Any advice? Something else I can use as a border? A way to get the fondant to work for me?

9 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:55am
post #2 of 10

I've used two straight edges to fix ribbons that are wavy. Carefully place one on each side and press gently to make it go back to a straight line.

Alwayzmakincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alwayzmakincake Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 9:58am
post #3 of 10

I learned on Sugarshack's video to use a ruler for a straight border. Then roll up the piece of fondant loosely and wrap it around the cake. Use the ruler as a guide to make the width of the border. Hope this helps.

schnumvf Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 10

thank you! Now to find a ruler. As luck would have it my husband and my son both broke rulers the other week. Not sure if I have one left. Surely I could find something flat. Ugh, I hope i find something. thanks again.

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 10

How'd it turn out?

schnumvf Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 10

Let's hope it doesn't show up on cakewrecks. I am so frustrated with this cake. Do you ever feel like the longer you do something the more challenges you have? My cake is bulging - which I've never really had a problem with before. The border is better but still wonky. It's a mess.
Even with how hideous I think it is I know the customer will like it. Its for a friend. I'm over the idea of doing this as a business though. PITA. icon_sad.gif

schnumvf Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:27am
post #7 of 10

Everyone LOVED the cake. Not that I expected anyone to say that it was hideous. (even though it was) Bottom line, the taste made up for any ugly there was. icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the help. Notes are taken for next time.

Alwayzmakincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alwayzmakincake Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 10:56am
post #8 of 10

I'm sorry you didn't like the way it turned out. icon_sad.gif I used to want to do cakes as a business. Every time I made one that I didn't like, I was quitting. LOL Then everyone loved it and I changed my mind.

Check out SugarShack's videos. They are awesome. I just bought all of them.

robbemorka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbemorka Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 12:08pm
post #9 of 10

For borders and stripes that go horizontally, I always use fondant mixed with gumpaste (50:50). I usually roll it out, cut it and let it dry for 30 seconds or so.. This way the stripes are more likely to stay in shape, because they are not so stretchy as plain fondant would be, but still soft enough to be cut.

schnumvf Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 2:24pm
post #10 of 10

I had every intention of mixing gumpaste into my fondant... and I forgot. I spent so much time trying to get the perfect shade of green that I forgot about adding the gumpaste. On a good note, I did match the swatch perfectly. icon_smile.gif 'Nother note taken for next time, don't forget the gumpaste.
SugarShack Video's... I'll look into those. I've heard of them before but never checked into it.

Thank you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%