Beer Mug Cake Covered In Fondant

Decorating By cakeaholic_cakery Updated 5 Mar 2011 , 1:28pm by cakeaholic_cakery

cakeaholic_cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaholic_cakery Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:43am
post #1 of 4

Hello CC'ers, I just got a last minute order for a 21st birthday cake. They want a frothy beer mug cake, and I'd prefer to cover the cake in fondant... Any tips on covering this tall thin cake in fondant? Should I wrap the fondant around the stacked cakes - with the seams hidden by the mug handle? Or attempt to cover it like any other cake?...

TIA!

3 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:39am
post #2 of 4

Will it be a round mug or a hexagonal mug? If you want nice angles, then I would recommend modeling chocolate panels. If the cake is smaller, I would cover it in the traditional way. Just covering the around the sides can present it's own problems. HTH!

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 2:56am
post #3 of 4

If I had to do one I think that I would do vertical ones with fondant to get a glass like apperance and cover the top with white for the foam over the top, HTH and makes sence?

cakeaholic_cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaholic_cakery Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

Will it be a round mug or a hexagonal mug? If you want nice angles, then I would recommend modeling chocolate panels. If the cake is smaller, I would cover it in the traditional way. Just covering the around the sides can present it's own problems. HTH!

It will be a pretty small cake - about the size of a regular mug of beer. My husband is a beer enthusiast so luckily we have lots of beer mugs around that I can model the cake after... The mug I'm thinking I will use as a "template" is about 8 inches tall and only about 3+ inches in diameter. The sides are kind of rounded pleats or a rounded hexgon - if that makes sense?... Of course the top will look frothy with frosting or meringue foam or something... but mostly looking for tips on generally covering the mug in fondant...

Thanks you guys for your responses icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%