What Is A Strong Edible Medium?

Decorating By sharlanet Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 7:43pm by sharlanet

sharlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharlanet Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 12

I have to make a mask as a project for a class and thought it would be fun to make it edible. What would be a strong and not so fragile medium to use? Is gumpaste or fondant too fragile? It has to be strong enough to be able to wear it for the critique. I know the figures I've made with fondant/tylose are really sturdy, but I'm not sure how it would be rolled out thin. I'd like to stick with edible, cake decorating mediums & methods as much as possible. I think it might be cool to incorporate gelatin also. Has anyone attempted anything like this?

11 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 12

Pastiallage

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:05am
post #3 of 12

Fondant should be strong enough to handle it if you have mixed tylose powder or denture powder in it (which is tylose powder with a minty flavor)...I would make the form and put it overnight with the light on in the oven...should be fine!

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 1:33am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

denture powder in it (which is tylose powder with a minty flavor)...I would make the form and put it overnight with the light on in the oven...should be fine!

Say What??!!! icon_eek.gif So like deture adhesive powder. Geez it is so good to keep learning. Happy Dance

sharlanet Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:12am
post #5 of 12

What exactly is pastillage? I thought it was fragile, no? Denture powder? Seriously? Wow- then it would have a nice minty smell too! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the input and keep the ideas coming!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:30am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlanet

What exactly is pastillage? I thought it was fragile, no? Denture powder? Seriously? Wow- then it would have a nice minty smell too! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the input and keep the ideas coming!

Yes, several years ago on CC some CC members shared that they use Fixodent and mix it with their fondant strictly for flowers, figures, etc. I
have used it since and I absolutely love it! It is much cheaper than regular
tylose powder and works better!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 2:42am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

Fondant should be strong enough to handle it if you have mixed tylose powder or denture powder in it (which is tylose powder with a minty flavor)...I would make the form and put it overnight with the light on in the oven...should be fine!

Wow, I never knew that!

artscallion Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 3:09am
post #8 of 12
Quote:

What exactly is pastillage? I thought it was fragile, no? ...

Pastiallage is a stronger version of gumpaste. Usually rolled thicker and used for architectural elements on cakes when strength is needed.

sharlanet Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:14am
post #9 of 12

So if I've worked with fondant & gumpaste before, pastillage is similar? Sounds like it may be the way to go.
Now, any ideas how to incorporate gelatin into it? Maybe some gelatin flowers or butterflies? Or make half the mask gelatin so part of it is transparent? How would I get the gelatin part & the pastillage part to adhere to each other?
Also, Can pastillage be made ahead and used as needed or does it need to used right away? Can it be stored and kept soft & fresh in a ziplock bag?

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 5:30am
post #10 of 12

I'm not sure I'd want something edible on my face...or worse to eat it! icon_lol.gif Seriously though good luck with your project....and man oh man you better believe I'm heading to the denture powder section tomorrow to do some research!!!

artscallion Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:05pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:

So if I've worked with fondant & gumpaste before, pastillage is similar? Sounds like it may be the way to go.
Now, any ideas how to incorporate gelatin into it? Maybe some gelatin flowers or butterflies? Or make half the mask gelatin so part of it is transparent? How would I get the gelatin part & the pastillage part to adhere to each other?
Also, Can pastillage be made ahead and used as needed or does it need to used right away? Can it be stored and kept soft & fresh in a ziplock bag?

If your project requires you to use gelatin, you're all set with pastillage as gelatin is one of the main ingredients. You use it just like you use gumpaste only it dries faster so you have to work fast. You can make it ahead and store it just like you would gumpaste, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. Here's a link to a recipe and more information.

http://www.slice-heaven.com/store/show/SHPR

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/14633/easy-pastillage

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/69493-demo-intro-to-pastillage/

And a google image search of "pastillage mask" shows that it's been done with great success before:

http://images.google.com/images?q=pastillage+mask&ie=UTF-8&biw=1106&bih=853

sharlanet Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 7:43pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you! Thank you! It should be fun! This mask isn't going to be eaten but I wanted the challenge of making it out of edible materials.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%