How Do I Successfully Cut The Cake Board After Decorating?

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 9:13pm by Corrie76

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 6

The other day I was looking for videos on how to make ribbon roses and ruffles on cake.. while doing so I ran across a video in which a woman had decorated what looked like a 6 inch cake on an 8 or 10 inch cake board (the cardboard round kind)... she then picked up the cake (one hand under the board) and then with her other hand used something (I assume a knife or exacto blade or something) and cut way the extra board (turning the board/cake with one hand and cutting with the other)... she had the blade at about a 45 degree angle to the base of the cake and just cut all around thus making a board to fit the cake exactly once done....

After seeing this i accidentaly closed the window and now can't find it! I'd love to know what she used to cut with? I assumed it was a knife or exacto blade but not sure??? what ever it was it would have to be super sharp?

Wondering if anyone uses this method and if so what they use to cut the board? and do you do it after icing but before fondant or once completely done?

5 replies
Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 6

I just use my small cranked palette knife

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 6

I just use my Exacto best tool i got

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 6

Moondance - Really - just a regular palette knife?? it cuts through the board????

andreamen1 - what size or shape is it/the blade?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 6

I use a box cutter. My palette knife might cut through butter but not cardboard.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 6

I use and exacto knife but have also just used sharp scissors and find that to be handy as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%