Fondant Too Stretchy?

Decorating By lissacarol Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 7:40pm by lissacarol

lissacarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissacarol Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 4

I tried to see if this question had been asked before so forgive if it has and I didn't see it. When I make mmf for my accents on cakes like ribbons and fence posts, when I pick them up they stretch to where they are much thinner than I intended and on the ribbons what started out as a 3/4 inch ribbon ends up at 1/2 inch in places. icon_rolleyes.gif I haven't worked with fondant too much so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 4

If you let it sit for a few minutes before you try to pick it up, it will help to keep it from stretching. If you're trying to apply a ribbon boarder, try rolling the ribbon up into a coil and unrolling as you go around the cake. Hope that makes sense.

ronronneuse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ronronneuse Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 4

I've had this problem as well, and I've discovered that if I roll the fondant out on a mat, the refrigerate it for a bit, I have a few minutes when I can cut ribbons and shapes without worrying about things getting deformed and stretchy. Letting it rest afterwords is also very helpful, though I find that the rolled up edge of the ribbon usually dries and cracks when I do that, so I cut it extra long just in case.

lissacarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissacarol Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the tips! I have rolled the "ribbon" up and that did help. I also cut them a little thicker and then when they stretched it was better. I just thought maybe I was doing something wrong with the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%