Told My Pricing Is Too High...

Decorating By paula0712 Updated 11 Jun 2013 , 1:32pm by Sweet_Cakes

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 10:30pm
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

I think sometimes the "per slice" price is alarming people.

$4 doesn't seem like a lot for a cup of coffee ..... until you have to pay for 200 of them.

Costume, I LUV your list of responses!!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 10:39pm
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

I think sometimes the "per slice" price is alarming people.

$4 doesn't seem like a lot for a cup of coffee ..... until you have to pay for 200 of them.

Costume, I LUV your list of responses!!!

Totally right! I've had customers who have purchased a 30 serving cake from me and were okay with the price. But then a year later they've come back to me for like a 50 serving cake...and not only did my prices maybe go up a little, but now they have almost twice as many guests to feed...but all they were remembering is how much they paid me last year!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 11:12pm
post #33 of 42

Just so we know its an issue that affects other industries, a "same thing but different" scenario I encountered at the hotel just 2 days ago.....

Guy comes in with a coupon for a 1-person room for $69.99. BUT ...... ! He want to put 3 people in the room PLUS a rollaway bed and can't figure out why it will cost him more than $69! Dude!! Its a coupon for ONE person and you want us to accommodate three times that number AND make my housekeeping dept make an extra bed in the morning .... and you want it all for the 1-person price????

In cake world, I tell folks, "Contrary to the lies that the bridal magazines tell you ......"

In hotel world, I tell folks, "Contrary to what William Shatner tells you......." icon_twisted.gif

SuperSaugy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuperSaugy Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:55am
post #34 of 42

Most people do not realise the time it take to make a custom cake from start to finish. Never underestamate yourself and never under charge. If they want cheap frozen crap let them go to safeway. Charge what you are worth and do not settle for any less. Starting a business may take a bit longer but in the long run your efforts will pay off! You will never get ahead if you dont make any money.
Another thing to consiter is the people who are willing to pay for what they get will refer you to others who are willing to pay as well. If you make an amazing cake and dont charge enough everyone at that party will want a cake at the same cheap rate. Then your stuck in a rut and may never get out

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:15am
post #35 of 42

Dont lower your price. If that's what you need to charge to make your profit, and it's in line (sounds in line to me), then it is what it is. Lowering your price shows your customer that you dont believe your product is worth $X. Plus, you dont want to get in the habit of doing that just to get business because you'll end up getting that type of business - the people who ALWAYS want a deal icon_smile.gif

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:23am
post #36 of 42

wow,some people in some areas can get these prices/ here i am lucky to get more than sams or walmart without someone comlaining or canceling. they are so used to getting inexpensive cakes from me now that I am raising it up i find that my older clients are going to one of the 2 new walmarts that are so close i could see them from my roof. Why we need so many walmarts in one area is beyond me. we have 3 supercenters within 20 min of my house.

I think it is also how we present ourselves me i am meak, my business partner does lawyer collections and has no problems talking to our clients about money and asking for it. she is firm and no noncense.

my 40 yr old neice going on 12 has been trying to bake for years and driving me nuts. no one will eat her cakes (my husband eats anything but this is the first thing in 32 yrs that I have seen him spit out) she was looking at a grad cake i did this past weekend, it was for her nephew. she showed me a picture of a 3 layer half sheet she carved into something with bubble gumballs on it.. and as ne what I would charge. there were no supports and it was non its way sliding to one side I told her I couldn't see photo that well, she said that she won't do it for under a 100 and that she has 2 ordered.

I want to know what she did to these peole to pay that much for this kind of work and taste. she was very proud and said she ha over 65 into in materials, that i couldnt figure out as there was no fondant.. only her buttercream. made out of margarine and powdered sugar.. a yelloish butter cream that is so ggreasy it sticks to your mouth. I want her guts.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 7:41am
post #37 of 42

Unfortunately I would never charge that much for four blocks especially twelve servings. But if you feel your pricing is correct then just be polite tell them thank you and let them be on their merry way. That's the great thing about having a business we can say no.

meokha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meokha Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 9:06pm
post #38 of 42
Quote:
I told her that the one from Michel's seemed like a good deal and I am sorry that my pricing was out of her budget.

great reply! I have to deal with this all the time! I get told my prices are way too high, tho I know they are actually less than what some others have been charging for work which isn't even as neat as mine. I charge what I feel is the right price (i don't want to undercut anyone, but not feel guilty that i am overcharging too!) And some clients, they actually talk as if they are doing you a favour, by doing their cake you will exposure, etc. One in a while I get to hear, 'I will coming back for more, so maybe you can reconsider the price.' I feel like telling such people you don't even want to pay for your first one, and I should do this for you so you can place more orders for which you won't want to pay!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 11:00pm
post #39 of 42

People who live in an area where they can't get a fair price for a cake unfortunately have to consider that custom cakes may not be a viable business in his/her area. Custom cakes are luxury item. My base price is $5 per serving and my friends and family don't pay that much for cake. I don't pay that much for cake. When i deliver a cake, I'm often driving up to gate where I can't even see the house and they are watching me on camera before they let me in. Last week I delivered to a cake for a child's party where they had part of a museum blocked off on a Saturday afternoon.

If you charge less than what a person making a living in the cake business would make, you are undercutting . Lamborghini, doesn't adjust prices below cost because they are selling cars where people can only afford Kia's. they don't try to sell cars to people who can only afford a Kia. But I can't go on a cake forum without seeing posts from people who don't know what their cakes cost, don't realize they aren't making a profit and don't know what the market price is for cakes in their area.

And this is important for anyone doing research on cake pricing in his/her area. Since so many, if not most, home bakers undercharge, they aren't usually who to ask about pricing. Find a bakery or a home baker whose sole source of income is cakes.

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 11:02am
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucrea 

From what I can tell it really depends on where you live. I just bake for family and friends but I know that Safeway can do it for cheaper than I could if I was selling them. However, I make my cakes fresh and I make my own bc with real butter and mmf. We recently had a dinner party at a restaurant and had to purchase a cake because of health dept rules (no outside food can be brought in unless purchased from a health dept approved location). It was from a major grocery store chain. The cake was so bad that no one finished their pieces including the kids. We threw the cake away and everyone kept telling me that next time can I just purchase a box to make it look like I bought the cake or we will go home and have cake. Good quality cake costs more. You wouldn't go to McDonalds and expect a great steakhouse steak so why not the same with cake!

I love this example!

Sweet_Cakes Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 1:30pm
post #41 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 

Every caker should have this hung on the kitchen door.

The Caker's Credo

A cake is NOT just flour and water.

If you mix flour and water you get GLUE.

The miracle of cake is that you take the glue,
add eggs and sugar, and you get cake.

Where did the glue go you ask?

You know very well where it went.

It's what makes the cake stick to your hips.

One should pay at least as much for the cake
as one is going to pay for the gym membership
that will help remove it from one's hips.

I love this!!! Would it be tacky to put it in a contract? LOL...j/k...sorta...icon_biggrin.gif

Sweet_Cakes Posted 11 Jun 2013 , 1:32pm
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz 

That's what I think. Good things cost money.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%