Suggestions To Make Shredded Cheese From Fondant?

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 2:18am by perfectcakebyshirley

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make shredded cheese from fondant? I'm doing a pizza cake, and can't think of a way besides cutting it out, which would take forever!

11 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 12

Press it through a garlic press or clay gun.

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 12

I've never tried this, but it seems like it may work...
Roll fondant into a big ball, let dry a little and then run it down a cheese grater like you would cheese. Hopefully you will get the same effect.

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 12

Have you thought about using a white chocolate bar? When I made the pizza cake that is what I used and it looked great. I don't have any suggestions for the fondant other than using a clay gun with the flat stencil and then cutting them into smaller pieces.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 12
JenJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJane Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 12

When I made my pizza cake I also used white chocolate and a grater. It came out great.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 12

I vote for white chocolate as well. You may need to warm the chocolate just slightly so it shreds instead of crumbles. I used a cheese greater and candy melts for the packing materials in my wine cake. I melted the candy melts in a small tupperware container. I let it harden to form a brick and then was able to grate it. I found if it was slightly soft it grated much better.

Good luck.

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks for all the suggestions! I love the tutorial you posted, imagenthatnj - I'm definitely going to try it out!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 12

I like the white chocolate technique too. Ignore my earlier idea. icon_wink.gif

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 10:40pm
post #10 of 12

When I did mine I used fondant. I just rolled it out and went to work on it with a pizza cutter running it back and forth till I had small bits. I tossed them with a bit of PS, then put them on the pizza and used a torch to melt and brown them a bit. If you use the chocolate you won't get the bubbled melted cheese effect. HTH

Here's mine http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1923475 .

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:12am
post #11 of 12

I just did this a couple of weeks ago! I took very light yellow fondant and placed it in the freezer. Once it was semi-hard I grated it on a cheese grater. I wasn't completely happy with the look so I put some on a sheet pan and ran a blowtorch over it. As if by magic, it melted and even browned... it looked just like mozzaralla!! I them popped it back in the freezer for it for firm back up. It retained that melted, brown look! I did a blog post about it.

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:18am
post #12 of 12

The cake came out great! I ended up just using some marshmallow fondant I had that was a little hard, and grated that. I need to go out and get a better blow torch - the one we had at home just tended to burn the fondant, so didn't really melt it that much. Next time, I'll tint the fondant a bit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%