Box Cake And Bought Icing, Tips To Make Tastier.

Decorating By MeggyCakes27 Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 5:16am by Spazmo76

MeggyCakes27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeggyCakes27 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:51am
post #1 of 7

Ok so I'm new at this, I only have 3 cakse so far under my belt icon_surprised.gif( sad I know lol. But Im hooked and will be making my own birthday cake icon_surprised.gif) So for now I had to do with Duncan Hines Marble cake mixe and store bought cream cheese icing. I have made my own BC before I just don't have all the ingredients on hand atm. So anyways I was wondering if anyone here in CC could over some tips as for what I could add to the cake mix to give it some pizaz lol spelling not sure, hehe, and what I could add to the cream cheese icing.

I was thinking about adding some spiced rum to the chocolate part of the duncan hines marble cake mix and seeing if I could make the icing choc. cream cheese icing.

This will just be a 2 layer 8" round cake with the cream cheese filing and cream cheese crumb coat. Then ontop I have mmf that I make up which tastes yumo icon_surprised.gif) White with zebra stripes.
Thanks in advance for any tips and ideas icon_surprised.gif)

6 replies
Atty2de Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atty2de Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:06am
post #2 of 7

I know you will get great replies from our wonderful bakers but you can start by googling

flavored cream cheese frosting

and you will get tons of great ideas!

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:24am
post #3 of 7

I've never tried it, and I'm not sure about the store bought cream cheese frosting, but I've read on this site that cream cheese frosting and fondant don't mix. Just FYI. Good luck on your cake!

MeggyCakes27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeggyCakes27 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 7

Ok so the creem cheese icing will be just for the filling, i got a different icing to use for the crumb coat yay. Just gotta figure out how to doctor my duncan hines marble cake mix and make my cream cheese icing chocolatey or something really yummy, any ideas?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 7

Have you considered using my WASC recipe? It would be perfect for this venture.
Adding the spiced rum to the choco is a good ideas too.
With the store bought Cr Ch icing you can add almost anything you want to it. Use some of the spiced rum *and* some chocolate powder? You might have to add a bit of milk to thin it just a bit after adding the chocolate (cocoa powder). OR if you have any melt some chocolate candy and add it to the icing OR use chocolate syrup (with that you might have to add a bit more sugar to thicken it back up.)

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 7

adding 1/2-3/4 cup of sour cream to your cake mix will add a definite yum.

Spazmo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spazmo76 Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:16am
post #7 of 7

How about putting a little lemon or orange rind in the cream cheese frosting for a citrus taste? Not sure if that would go with the chocolate cake though???????? or maybe some banana. banana and chocolate go really well together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%