Adding Sour Cream To Box Mix?

Baking By JenniferMc Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 8:10pm by TerriLynn

JenniferMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMc Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:59am
post #1 of 7

I am wanting to jazz up a basic chocolate box mix. I'm wanting to add some sour cream and melted chocolate. Will this make the cake to wet? How much should I add? I'm thinking a half cup of each?
Thank you

6 replies
Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:17am
post #2 of 7

I like to take the mix and add 1 cup chocolate pudding that I make ahead, 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup of strong coffee, 3 eggs, and 1 cup of flour. It turns out moist and the coffee really enhances the chocolate! I would eliminate the oil if you add the sour cream though.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:38am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMc

I am wanting to jazz up a basic chocolate box mix. I'm wanting to add some sour cream and melted chocolate. Will this make the cake to wet? How much should I add? I'm thinking a half cup of each?
Thank you

Use the chocolate WASC recipe found on the CC Recipes...it is excellent. I use sour cream in most of my chocolate cakes.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:56am
post #4 of 7

1 box chocolate cake mix, 1 box chocolate pudding, 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 3/4 tsp salt, 8 oz sour cream, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 and 1/3 cup cold coffee.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:01am
post #5 of 7

You can't go wrong with the Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe! I use the following recipe exclusively and get RAVE reviews every time.

1 box Devils Food DH cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs

Love, love, love this recipe! icon_smile.gif

JenniferMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMc Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 7

Dee- Do you use the choc pudding dry or made into pudding???

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

1 box chocolate cake mix, 1 box chocolate pudding, 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 3/4 tsp salt, 8 oz sour cream, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 and 1/3 cup cold coffee.

Sounds awesome! I am so hungry now. ha icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%