Disgruntled Wedding Cake....

Decorating By Shannon36 Updated 12 May 2011 , 4:30am by Annabakescakes

Shannon36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon36 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 17

So I made this cake from recipies from fellow CCr's never had a problem before. I love to make from scratch and not have to use box mix, but will if necessary.

I get this email from the mother of the bride and she just rippes me a new one saying that the two yellow teirs were grey, they were definately not. She said the middle of the cake was like frozen, I think the woman cutting the cake didn't take the cake boards out to cut it. I also feel that they expected a cake box mix type cake. She said people complained about the yellow cake being like corn meal. The icing color was an ivory. It looked ivory when I made it, however when it got to the facility it looked a bit orangie. So I have come up with ideas to fix the color issue in the future.

I plan to talk with the bride when she gets back from her honeymoon. I responded to the mother diplomatically. She got a great deal for her cake, It was probaply worth about $600-700, however only paid about $250 and the rest was a gift from me. She's a friend, I put a lot of heart into it, so What are ideas to offer for them to feel better about the situation? Has anyone ever had this type of problem before? I was at the wedding and everyone around me had nothing bad to say, however the mother said all she had were complaints. I"ve been doing this for over 9 years and it's the first complaint I've had.

I just feel upset by it. Have taken it very psersonally. Any tips would be great ful.
Thanks.... icon_cry.gif
Shannon36

16 replies
cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:39am
post #2 of 17

Wow, that would be tough to take, especially since she is a friend of yours. I wonder if maybe the bride doesn't feel the same way as the mother? Sometimes I think mothers of the brides can be worse to deal with then the actual brides. I would try to calm down until you talk to the bride herself and see what she has to say. I bet the cake was the least of the brides worries that day.
I can't imagine how the cake would look gray. I wonder if she is color blind? lol Seriously though, lighting could have played a part of her thinking the cake looked gray.
I agree that people expect the box cake taste of a cake and when they get a made from scratch cake they think there is something off with it. I have had this issue too, but with family so I was able to explain it to them easily enough. It doesn't make you feel too good though when you spend all that time baking and only get complaints.
Hang in there, try not to let it bother you too much until you talk to the bride. Do you have pics of the cake?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 12:59am
post #3 of 17

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. It's a shame that a friend would be so over the top in their critizism. I do have an observation and question. For the ivory color, did you by any chance use Wilton's Ivory color? If you did, NEVER use it again. No matter what you use it in, it starts a gorgeous ivory color and every single time it will turn a rancid orangish color. I've used it in bc, fondant and even in lightweight plaster. There is definitely something in it that changes the color on you.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:05am
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon36

So I have come up with ideas to fix the color issue in the future.

What's your solution?

(You might try using Vanilla to get an ivory color.)

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 17

Awkward situation considering they're friends and you already gave them a heavily discounted price. Perhaps they don't realise how much the cake SHOULD have cost them, and $250 seemed like a high-end price to them so now they're trying to get it cheaper?

It's good that you were at the wedding to see firsthand what went on - did you notice if people were eating the cake? or were they leaving most of it on their plates? That would be the best indication - (bearing in mind that everyone around you probably knew you made the cake and wouldn't have said anything negative about it around you if they didn't like it)

Definitely talk to the bride when she gets back...assuming she ordered the cake then her's is the opinion that counts.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 17

Who ordered the cake? MOB or bride?

If it's the bride then if MOB emails again I would simply respond that you are sorry she wasn't happy and you plan on discussing it with the bride when she returns from the honeymoon since she is the one who ordered the cake.

If it's MOB then I would reiterate again that she got a tremendous deal and that you're sorry she wasn't happy.

Then leave it at that. Don't offer any kind of refund or future discount.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 17

I read some of these 'complaint' posts and I really have to wonder. Would you really go up to the MOB at a wedding and complain about the cake you were served? Doesn't that seem kind of rude, for a guest to go up and complain to the hostess? I think it's more likely only the MOB was upset and she complained to everyone else....

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 7:28am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

I read some of these 'complaint' posts and I really have to wonder. Would you really go up to the MOB at a wedding and complain about the cake you were served? Doesn't that seem kind of rude, for a guest to go up and complain to the hostess? I think it's more likely only the MOB was upset and she complained to everyone else....

I agree. If I was served bad wedding cake, I just wouldn't eat it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 9:53am
post #9 of 17

Ditto on the "was there any cake left on the plates?" A wedding planner, who is also a personal friend, worked a wedding with me and told me, "Debi, if I had never had any of your cake, I'd know how good it was. I've NEVER been to a wedding and seen cake plates licked clean like this!"

I had a MOB who tried to tell me that "everyone" thought the potatoes on the buffet were bad. I told her "That's odd, because there were only about 6 servings left at the end of the night." She proceeded to then claim that "well, people took them but they didn't eat them." I responded that wasn't true either because my staff was trained to let me know (under threat of life!) what and how much food was coming back on the plates. They knew (!) when I walked into the kitchen and asked "what are you seeing?" that they better have info for me on what the plates looked like. And those plates were coming to the kitchen empty.

She backed down. icon_twisted.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ditto on the "was there any cake left on the plates?" A wedding planner, who is also a personal friend, worked a wedding with me and told me, "Debi, if I had never had any of your cake, I'd know how good it was. I've NEVER been to a wedding and seen cake plates licked clean like this!"

I had a MOB who tried to tell me that "everyone" thought the potatoes on the buffet were bad. I told her "That's odd, because there were only about 6 servings left at the end of the night." She proceeded to then claim that "well, people took them but they didn't eat them." I responded that wasn't true either because my staff was trained to let me know (under threat of life!) what and how much food was coming back on the plates. They knew (!) when I walked into the kitchen and asked "what are you seeing?" that they better have info for me on what the plates looked like. And those plates were coming to the kitchen empty.

I LOVE IT! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif An ounce of prevention...... as they say

She backed down. icon_twisted.gif

Terri66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri66 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 11:50pm
post #11 of 17

I feel your pain. Its embarassing! You second guess yourself...wondering if something was wrong with the recipe you used a dozen times??? You wonder if you missed a step somewhere....I loved the Wedding Planners response to your story. I think some people complain just to complain...and try to "win back" some of their money. I just finished a small wedding cake for a family friend...I, like you, am left wondering if it was OK. I undercharged like crazy on it...I don't even think I covered the cost of the ingredients. I think people like that...others look at her and know what they are like and ignore them. I am sure your cake was fine!

geogirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geogirl Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 17

I also had a bride a week after the wedding tell me my cake was dry, the fondant was too thick and that they had to throw it all out. That it was a complete waste of money. I apologized, licked my wounds and thought it was done but then she posted a very negative review on the website that I get most of my business from. I ended up having to refund her money. Sometimes people are never satisified.

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 12:11am
post #13 of 17

I agree with sweetflowers. I highly doubt anyone actually came up to the MOB and told her the cake was bad! As a wedding planner I have never heard anyone complain about the taste of a cake at a wedding. I bet it was the MOB complaining. I would follow others advice and talk to the bride when she gets back, especially because she is a friend.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 12:59am
post #14 of 17

Seems like if they really thought the cake tasted like cornbread they'd have saved a piece for you....to prove it...? Did they save a top tier?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:33am
post #15 of 17

I totally agree, Mothers of Bride can be difficult. Having been one myself this month, I can tell you that, I just can't imagine anyone coming up to me and complaining about anything. - Not even my very opinionated family! So, I would wait and discuss it with your friend, when she gets back from her honeymoon. icon_smile.gif I am sorry she did that to you!

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 3:13am
post #16 of 17

First I agree with everyone for the most part. But..

Never use the excuse, you got a good deal. To me you would be saying your promise is pretty empty. You promised a $700 cake for $250. That's the end of that. You could have charged more, you chose not to.

OK - anywho.......

I agree, you were there - were cake plates empty... and I've been to a ton of weddings. Maybe one or two people complain to the person paying, if any at all. But no more than that.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:30am
post #17 of 17

I agree that there really wasn't many people that would complain about a cake to the person who paid for it, or their family.

I sat at a table at a friend's reception with 3 other couples who I did all their wedding cakes. I didn't do the cake that time, as it was a gift from an older friend of theirs, and boy, did it suck! It was scratch, and it was horrible. I said it seemed like she forgot sugar, and that was being kind, cause I didn't want to seem jealous. We were all cracking up, it was so bad, but we were whispering and didn't want it to get to the bride or groom that we thought the cake was crap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%