Cool Tip I Just Read

Decorating By Niki11784 Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 11:31pm by Renaejrk

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 5

I just saw this on allrecipes, and I wanted to share it with you guys:

Here's a trick I learned a couple of years ago about splitting the cake. Instead of using a knife to cut the cake, you can use dental floss. Just use a long piece of floss to line up the floss with center height of the cake, all the way around the edge. When the floss is all lined up, loop the ends over each other and pull through. This will give one perfect slice through the cake two make two thin cakes!

It might be obvious to you guys, but I thought this was cool!

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 5

Perfect torting = Agbay

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 5

Unfortunately agbay is out of the realm of possibility for a lot of us-including a hobby baker like myself. Until I can justify the cost, I'll have to live vicariously through those who do have it. icon_wink.gif Until then, other methods like dental floss are a great alternative. Thanks for sharing the tip nikki.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 5

I use dental floss a lot. It also works well for cutting buttercream cakes (great for cheesecakes!) - especially when working around kids when you might not want to have sharp knives around.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 5

I LOVE dental floss! I can't cut straight to save my life so this is great for me! I measure and then stick toothpicks in each side to line the floss up to so it is torted evenly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%