Making Flowers With Fondant

Decorating By Candice56 Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 5:30am by Candice56

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:44am
post #1 of 15

I made Micheal's fondant from this site first time the texture was great, this second time sticky when I try to roll it out I was not able use a small cookie to get the shape to hold it stretches apart and is very soft.
Also does anyone have a suggestion for a good book to learn how to make figures and more than cut out flowers, I have never used gum paste is this necessary in the fondant to make flowers, I bought all the tools but I need a good book to help me learn how to make and use these.
Thanks, Candice

14 replies
corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 8:56am
post #2 of 15

I personally use just fondant to make flowers, I don't really like working with gumpaste if I don't have to. I use crisco to keep my fondant from getting sticky. A little on your hands/table/rolling pin should do the trick!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 10:08am
post #3 of 15

You could try adding a little Tylose to your fondant. Don't add to much or you will have to work fast.

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:33am
post #4 of 15

Swettreat101 what does tylose do?
Corpsequeen do you only ever use crisco even when rolling out a large piece of fondant, say to cover a cake? Doesnt it make the fondant look shiny/greasy?

KimmyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyD Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 15

I too, am wondering about a book. I know there are YouTube videos, etc., but I don't always have a laptop in the kitchen where I bake/decorate. I am definitely a visual learner.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 15

I also like to use fondant with a little tylose. Just a little so the flowers dry faster. icon_smile.gif

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabray13

Swettreat101 what does tylose do?
Corpsequeen do you only ever use crisco even when rolling out a large piece of fondant, say to cover a cake? Doesnt it make the fondant look shiny/greasy?

I always use crisco, yes. The shortening dries and doesn't effect the look or taste of the fondant at all icon_smile.gif

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 9:02am
post #9 of 15

Tylose helps your fondant firm up and dry faster. Very inexpensive. If you have ever tried to make fondant characters or flowers with fondant it can be a little on the soft side and not hold it's shape. If you knead in a some Tylose and shortening it makes it easier to work with. The frogs on my cake were sculpted the night before delivery. If I would have just used fondant the arms would have never held their form and the characters would not have set up enough to place on the cake.

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks!!! I am going to have to try the Tylose. I usually make my figures and such ahead of time so they will be dry.

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:57pm
post #11 of 15

Not trying to steal the thread, but I have a question. If making a batch of mmf, how much tylose would you add? After adding the tylose, can you still microwave the mmf to soften it up? TIA

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:11pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickeyC

Not trying to steal the thread, but I have a question. If making a batch of mmf, how much tylose would you add? After adding the tylose, can you still microwave the mmf to soften it up? TIA

1 T of Tylose per pound of fondant to make gum paste, and yes you can still heat it in microwave.

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:16pm
post #13 of 15

Thank you so much! I have been wanting to try adding the tylose, but wasn't sure how much. I will be trying this today. Thanks again.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:19pm
post #14 of 15

"Fun and Original Children's Cakes" by Maisie Parrish is a book of making dozens of animals and people from fondant/gum paste. The title says "cakes" but that is not an accurate description of this book, it is step by step gum paste figures, lots of good tips in this book. btw I found this at "Jo Ann"s Fabrics" (and crafts) store

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:30am
post #15 of 15

Thank you for the hepful suggestions icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%