R2D2

Decorating By rntyler Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 8:43pm by Manderly42

rntyler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rntyler Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:07am
post #1 of 11

I am tackling r2d2in three weeks anyone have any tips or advice I have never made a cake this tall before I'm a little nervous

10 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:42am
post #2 of 11

Every three inches make sure and have a cardboard and dowels for stability. It really isn't much different from doing a 3-4 tier cake, same type support structure, the cakes just don't get smaller! I would use a center dowel if possible, that always helps mine not get wobbly icon_smile.gif

rntyler Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 11:37am
post #3 of 11

Thank you

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 11

Me too - but I'm only using 6" cake pans and don't intend for it to be like a 4 tier wedding cake!!!!

CP x

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 11

I've got one due in about 5 weeks time. Arms and bottom tier will be styrofoam dummies, as I do not need that many servings (only 10-12) so either the middle 2 tiers and top will be cake, or just the upper striaght layer and the dome. I've already cut out the arms from styrofoam and the bottom layer. Arms are covered with fandant, will do the bottom tier tomorrow. I want to add a light, so I'll make the gumpaste case for that tomorrow as well, everything else shortly before. And yess, dowels are important as well as a board inbetween, even if the layers are not so tall or big, but better safe than sorry. Just because it will be so slim, I'm afraid of it toppling

rntyler Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 11

I want it all edible any tips for using crisp treats for the arms and round base that goes underneath

Ursula40 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 11

Wish I could but i can't get most of the stuff I would need for rice crispies here most of the time, plus if i could get it, it would jack up the cost sooo much, it's not worth it for me or my friend. I'm glad if I can get enough fondant to cover the dummies with, at least I don't have problems getting the styrofoam

rntyler Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 11

Do you use regular rice crisp treats like the snack

Ursula40 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 11

We can't get the snack here, I made it once, but with cereal (imported), marshmallows (imported) and everything else imported as well. Rice crispie cereal is more easily to be gotten here, but the other ingredients, only sometimes. i heard, you can get ready made Rice crispie snacks in the States, just warm up and form, would be so great, but....

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 11

rntyler - If you want to do rkt for the arms, make it yourself with the cereal, marshmallows, and butter - the recipe sometimes is on the cereal box or you can get it online - maybe even here icon_smile.gif Don't remember - it has been a while since I made them! It is pretty easy though.

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 11

I think it's 6 cups cereal, one bag marshmallows and one stick butter. I used store bought RKT for Godzilla and had PVC pipe as support.

Tips I learned from other CC members - coat PVC in chocolate or royal icing - RKT will not stick directly to PVC. Keep hands wet (being careful not to make your RKT soggy) with plain water - keeps the RKT from sticking to your hands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%