Websites And Cake Pricing

Decorating By tabco Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 6:14pm by indydebi

tabco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabco Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 6

My brother is working on my website. I have definatly decided to list my cake prices on there. I didn't know if anyone who has a website with prices listed would share what the easiest way to list the prices they have found....easiest for the customer to understand and read? Links would be great!!

5 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 6

Pricing is kind of a hard thing to do. Especially when it comes to custom work. Most websites list a per slice price or base price. Then if you charge extra for certain flavors, buttercreams, fondant, etc. then list those. Then I would also say something like "Our cakes are priced from $ dollars per serving, varying according to the complexity of your chosen design and the time invested in it's creation. The final price is determined by multiplying the price per serving by the number of servings you select. "

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 6

I post a picture of a cake, size of tiers, number of servings, and total price. This is the only way to clearly provide the price to the public. The other ways are more ambiguous, leaving the customer still confused. I owned a marketing company and I know that potential clients want their questions answered. That is why they search the net before calling. My approach is not popular. But look at most other industries and they name the price. Put yourself in the clients' shoes. Do you want to do the price dance, or do you just want the answer?

I understand that each cake is different. But varied sizes and degrees of difficulty as samples goes a long way in helping the public make a decision.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 6

Christopher Garren's Cakes pricing page, maybe it will help you get an idea.

http://christophergarrens.com/pricing.php

tabco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabco Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 6

I agree scp1127. I do not like the price per serving thing at all. I think it is so confusing and leaves the client to have to caculate. I would rather say a 6" and 8" 2 tiered cake will cost..... Add extra $ for fondant figures and so on. This is the hard part! Making the cakes is easy!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 6

Mine was easier than most since I had flat pricing. I did not charge for any decors. A plain iced cake with a ribbon wrapped around the base cost the same as a basketweave with a cascade of BC roses.

The one thing I DO suggest is to do the math for them. You'd think telling people "$3.50/serving" would be enough, but no ... its not. I actually spelled it out: "$3.50/serving ($350 per 100 guests)"

A $4 cup of coffee at Starbucks doesn't sound like a lot of money .... until you have to pay for 200 of them.

Do The Math for them.

Here's my "Math Dumb" article: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/Do%20The%20Math

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%