Baby Pink & Baby Blue Velvet Cupcakes?

Baking By xTiffanyx Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 10:39pm by xTiffanyx

xTiffanyx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xTiffanyx Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:58am
post #1 of 3

Anyone know how to get that shade as the cake color?? Normally for my red velvets I use liquid coloring, but I'm assuming for these I should use the gel paste. I'm just not sure which blue or pink to use and about how much. Right now I have all of the Wilton colors, and I just received a box of Americolor get pastes -I think there were 12 in a pack. I'm doing it for a girl or boy reveal party for a friend, but I've never toyed around with it before.

Any suggestions please let me know! Thank you!

2 replies
Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 4:10am
post #2 of 3

I'd go for Wilton's Rose fo pink velvet and just a hint of Wilton's Royal Blue for the Blue velvet. When making baby colors, I've tried Wilton's Sky Blue but required more coloring. I found that these colors yield baby pink and blue. Wilton's colors don't have a funny aftertaste, IMO.

While Americolor is awesome for coloring icings, I tend to primarily use it for Black RI and only use it sparingly because I think it has a funny aftertaste. I use it fondant and gumpaste regularly, though.

HTH icon_smile.gif

xTiffanyx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xTiffanyx Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 3

great thanks! I will try that out. About how much would you say when you say a little? let's say for a batter that makes 2 dozen cupcakes. I've always used the Wilton gel paste when coloring icing, but then I read somewhere on here that someone said that the Americolor was better, so I bought it. I haven't used it yet, but now that stinks that you said they have an after taste. Def not something that I would like to eat if it has that, and since I got it online I do not want to go through the hassle of returning.

By the way, it's off this subject, but I see underneath your name it says something about being a scratch baker. All of my cake recipes are from scratch that I make up and I have a few now that I can call "my own", but I'm looking for a vanilla yellow cake that's moist and airy and not so dense, and a strawberry cake that is very very strawberry tasting but without the artificial flavor. Have anything? I would love to play around with something that is good! I have my go to ones now, but I'm not really crazy about these two and am constantly looking for others to alter here or there to make a good one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%