Help With Praline Pecan Cake Filling Please!

Decorating By Muffinwoman Updated 12 Nov 2012 , 12:07am by Danilou

Muffinwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muffinwoman Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 2:04am
post #1 of 13

Hi! I am making a simple vanilla sheet cake and using the praline pecan filling recipe from this site :
http://www.wrenscottage.com/kitchen/recipes/filling/pralinepecanfill.php

The cake layers are in the freezer and I've made the filling so I can start assembly tomorrow. The filling is rather thick, I actually kneaded the last of the powdered sugar in (plus I added pecans) ...

So my question is, should I put some of my icing down first before the praline filling, or can I use the praline filling alone between the layers?

Thanks for any help!

12 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 2:22am
post #2 of 13

What kind of icing are you adding also. It sounds like you need to loosen the filling. Some times this kind of filling will get thick from maybe cooking a little to long or for some reason. I would use some milk and make it thinner. I have to do this when i make caramel filling,etc. hth When you go to fill your layers tomorrow, just put the filling on the stove , add a little milk and heat it and loosen it. You will see, that this works great.

Muffinwoman Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 2:28am
post #3 of 13

Thank you! So thin it and use it alone, no added icing between the layers. will it get to thick staying in the fridge for a day or two?

I'm using a bourbon cream cheese icing... It's for a guys birthday icon_smile.gif

I really appreciate your response!

icer101 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 2:42am
post #4 of 13

ok, so you are going to put this filling(weaken it) in between the layers. then ice it with bourbon cream cheese icing. Leah_s on this site. says , refrigerating cakes will dry them out. I personally would put it in a box, wrap really good with heavy foil, and freeze it. Take it out the morning or nite before you are going to eat it and it all will come together nicely. the filling will loosen up as it sits to thaw. I think it will be fine to do this way.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 2:52am
post #5 of 13

Refrigerating unsealed or unwrapped cakes will dry out, just like a piece of bread will.

But completely iced and boxed or completely wrapped cakes are perfectly fine in the fridge and will not dry out. Unless there is some magical refrigerator gremlin secretly sucking all the moisture out as soon as you close the door.

Really this is common sense.

The things you people will believe, just because somebody said them.
icon_biggrin.gif

Muffinwoman Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:01am
post #6 of 13

I freeze my cake layers until I fill, stack and crumb coat them. Then refrigerate for a few hours until I decorate. Once it's completely decorated, it goes back into the fridge until the day of the event (enough time to come to room temperature)

It's kinda impossible to wrap in plastic or foil once it's completely decorated. Will a fully decorated unwrapped cake dry out in the fridge over 24-48 hours?

Also, do simple syrups help?

icer101 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:11am
post #7 of 13

well , since THAT PERSON knows it all, then I(you people) will step aside. Persaonally, i believe what Leah_s says on this site. She gives out a lot of great info. Shes been decorating a lot longer than i have. That is why i used her as an example. She is also a Chef and has more knowledge than i do. I have personally asked her questions and she so NICELY helps me.

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:38am
post #8 of 13

Wow after everything that has been said on this post I hesitate to say anything but Im going to brave the hostility and hope I dont get barbequed in the process.

I would probably put a layer of icing down before the praline filling. It cant hurt to do this. As for refrigerating your cake after its been iced what I do is put tooth picks in to hold the plastic wrap up off the cake and lightly place plastic wrap over it and this helps. What Ive also done is put the tooth picks in the cake and put it in a new large garbage bag and tie it up. The cakes are always moist and delicious after I do this. Then after you take it out of fridge then just touch up the holes and it looks perfect. HTH Muffinwoman

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 7:49am
post #9 of 13

It sounds alot like my very favorite Bailey's Irish Cream cake. I have a pecan caramel filling that is cooked and then brought to room temp. I do not put the frosting in between the layers because the filling is incredible on its own. The filling is the consistency of room temp icing, so I agree with icer101... thin your filling to where you can work with it but it can still "stand" on its own.

My cakes don't dry out in the refrigerator if iced and covered (and the cut part sealed), and portions are brought to room temp before consuming. They are ok for a few days. But I bake from scratch and only use extremely moist cakes to begin with. Cakes that start out drier (on purpose) are usually infused with alcohol, so again, no drying out. These are family cakes... cakes that are sold are always baked the night before delivery. An uniced, unfilled, celebration cake can be wrapped and frozen for 24 to 48 hours with no or better change in consistency.

There is probably no perfectly correct answer to this question, because every recipe and every baker is different. But, I would hate to think I paid top dollar and got a two to three day old cake. They may or may not dry out, but they are not at their peak, in my opinion, about 6 to 24 hours after baking for scratch cakes. Many scratch bakeries suggest that their items are best consumed that day.

Muffinwoman Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks so much everyone!! You have all helped a lot!

klhetzel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klhetzel Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 13

Glad to have this information. Have recently been contacted to make a cake for a Kentucky Derby party. as the official cake of the Derby is a Butter Praline cake, I thought I would make a butter cake with a praline filling. It sounds like I will want it a little on the softer side, so I can spread it. Once this is down, I will add a thin chocolate ganache over the praline, then the second layer of butter cake. Planning on frosting it with a bourbon buttercream. Will keep you posted as to the outcome.

mommasue2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommasue2012 Posted 11 Nov 2012 , 11:48pm
post #12 of 13

Do you share the receipe for that "favorite Baileys Irish Cream cake:?

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 12:07am
post #13 of 13

I just realised this was an old forum!!!...but that  "famous Baileys cream cake" sounds delicious!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%