Make Black Icing That Tastes Good???

Baking By Alee81 Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 1:03am by Alee81

Alee81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alee81 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 7

I made a mickey mouse cake for my son for his birthday and of course there was alot of black needed for mickey's head/ears. In order to get the deep black i needed i had to add alot of black coloring which in turn gave me the color i needed but the taste was not soo good?? Please help!

6 replies
cakecrazy333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy333 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 7

Hmmm well what I do for black is make chocolate frosting and then add the black... that way you don't have to add as much. I have also used precolored black icing for smaller jobs. It still doesn't taste GREAT but it doesn't taste quite as bad as white that has been dyed black.

icon_biggrin.gif Hope this helps!

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 7

I also start with chocolate. In addition, black will develop over time. You may not need as much as you think.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 7

When making black I first use Chocolate Butter cream which I add semi-sweet melted chocolate chips to the buttercream recipe. (some use unsweetened) That give it a brown color of course then I add a little bit of black coloring gel. It doesn't take that much to turn it black. I also use this when I need a large batch of red. Saves time & taste great with both colors.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 1:21am
post #5 of 7

If at all possible, start with chocolate icing; then add Americolor black (super black? can't remember if they have super black or just super red) but add just a touch of black. Americolor's are a lot more intense than the Wilton brand.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:25am
post #6 of 7

I've heard a lot of people say this, but I've never experienced it. My black comes out very black, I use very little, I start with white icing (I hate chocolate) and I don't have any bitterness.

The brand coloring you use makes all the difference in the world.

Alee81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alee81 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 1:03am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your help, I will try using chocolate icing!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%