Rolling Out Fondant With Crisco

Decorating By corpsequeen Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 10:08pm by JerryCakes

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:42am
post #1 of 17

I taught myself everything I know when it comes to decorating and even though I've only ever seen people roll out fondant with powdered sugar/cornstarch. I personally grease my table,hands, and rolling pin with crisco when rolling out my fondant and it has always worked beautifully for me! When I use powdered sugar/cornstarch is drys out my fondant and often makes it crack. Am I the only weirdo who does it this way?? Lol.

16 replies
platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:59am
post #2 of 17

No your not a weirdo I prefer the Crisco as well. I use the PS/CS once I get the fondant on the cake to keep the smoother from sticking.

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 7:44am
post #3 of 17

I do the same thing, icon_biggrin.gif

corpsequeen Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:47am
post #4 of 17

This is a comfort icon_smile.gif I really thought I was strange for doing it this way when everyone else seemed to do it the other way! I just couldn't help but wonder if it works so well for me why doesn't anyone else do it? icon_biggrin.gif

JerryCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JerryCakes Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:30am
post #5 of 17

I have a kinda dumb question. I too have watched but never covered a cake in fondant.
I am going to try it in the next couple of days. My question is, do you use the ps/cs or crisco
to keep it from sticking when rolling it out and is that the only reason? I have been rolling
out fondant for flowers, etc. and it doesn't seem to stick, so do I need to use anything
like the crisco or other stuff?
Thank you.

andlydle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andlydle Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:45am
post #6 of 17

JerryCakes- You'll definitely need to use something to keep it from sticking. Sometimes small stuff doesn't stick but imagine spending the time to roll out 20ish inches of fondant only to have it stick in the middle. not fun! good luck

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 17

Using veg fat has never worked for me! I've always used cornflour!

CP x

andrealynmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrealynmoore Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 17

I do both. I use veg shortening on my hands and anything wooden but icing sugar on everything else. I find that using the shortening on my hands helps to keep the food colouring from sticking to me icon_biggrin.gif

JerryCakes Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:21pm
post #9 of 17

Thank you very much. That really makes sense about rolling it out then finding
it stuck in the middle. I appreciate your ideas. Have a nice day!

corpsequeen Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryCakes

I have a kinda dumb question. I too have watched but never covered a cake in fondant.
I am going to try it in the next couple of days. My question is, do you use the ps/cs or crisco
to keep it from sticking when rolling it out and is that the only reason? I have been rolling
out fondant for flowers, etc. and it doesn't seem to stick, so do I need to use anything
like the crisco or other stuff?
Thank you.

Deffinitly try both ways several times to see what works best for you!

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 17

i used to use crisco too! i stopped only bc it was a pain cleaning up =/ one wipe and all the corn starch is gone for me! (no greasy feeling left on mat/counter)

JerryCakes Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 17

Thank you all. I was wondering about cleaning up the Crisco and I was also
wondering if it left the fondant greasy feeling or tasting. I would guess that
it leaves the fondant kind of shiny too?

corpsequeen Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:45pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:

Clean up is a breeze for me because I use packing tape to tape wax paper down on my table. I work on top of that so all I have to do to clean up is peel it off and toss it! No one has ever told me my fondant tasted greasy or anything to that effect! And the fondant is a little shiney at first if you use alot but it dries and the fondant looks normal.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:56pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:

I use such small amount of crisco that there's nothing to clean up. I wipe the counter with a cleaning wipe, rinse with a damp paper towel, and go.

No, it doesn't leave the fondant greasy, shiny, or add any taste. Ideally, you shouldn't be turning your fondant over, so the majority of crisco is on the back side next to the icing on the cake.

If you look at my photos, ALL of the fondant covered cakes were rolled out on crisco.

Rae

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 9:41pm
post #15 of 17

I never use powdered sugar as it makes the fondant gritty. I like my fondant very smooth and silky with a perfect finish. If I use Satin Ice which is a little tougher and tends to tear, I roll with only shortening, and I actually do flip my fondant over at least once so that both sides are coated in a very thin film of shortening and therefore ensures that the fondant stays soft and subtle with no elephant skin. If I use my homemade fondant, which is softer to begin with, I roll with cornstarch which gives the fondant a really silky smooth finish. I learned that from Planet Cake and it has worked well for me.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 9:59pm
post #16 of 17

I used to use Crisco because I had same problem with ps and cs I live in a dry climate and so I think maybe that has something to do about it. I just bought The Mat about a month ago and I LOVE it! no mess and perfectly rolled fondant. Got mine on ebay for 15.00 worth every penny and then some!

JerryCakes Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:08pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you all. I was going to by The Mat directly from Sweetwise but didn't want to
pay th shipping. Guess I should have since I ordered an Ateco mat instead and still
paid the shipping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%