Buttercream Help...where Am I Going Wrong?

Lounge By MelissaMay Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 8:00am by MelissaMay

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:59am
post #1 of 8

I have made so many batches of BC and just when I think I've got it right...BAM the batch has a defect!!! The last batch came out really airy. I follow Sharon Z's BC recipe and technique. My first batch was ok, but my second was so airy. It just looks awful and is imossible to make it look smooth. My hubby says it looks good, but to me it's just grainy and airy looking. Can anyone tell me if there are any secrets to getting BC to be more smooth? I'm desperate!

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:02am
post #2 of 8

Was your batch big enough to cover the top of your paddle?

MelissaMay Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:22am
post #3 of 8

Yes I felt like it was...but I could fit al il more if i tried. Sharon uses 5lbs of PS and I use 4...but it's up to the top of the paddle. I hate how "holy" it looks ( do ya know what I mean)...when I pipe it out it's not smooth

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:34am
post #4 of 8

I used to think my mixer would only hold 4 lbs...then I took a leap of faith and put on 5lbs. What do you know, it fit! I also find that I need to let my icing 'rest' for a while. I usually make it at least a day in advance.

HTH icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:37am
post #5 of 8

Did you add enough liquid? I use Sharon's recipe for the 4.5 quart mixer in my 5 quart kitchen aide. I find that being off just a couple of tablespoons of liquid makes a huge difference.

MelissaMay Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:42am
post #6 of 8

I thought that I may not have added enough liquid so I added more and I think that is what made it so "weird". Exactly how many Tbs of liquid does she use? Thank you for you help everyone

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 7:06am
post #7 of 8

Melissa, the liquid depends on several factors. First which recipe are you using? Sharon's or a different one? Are you using hi-ratio shortening or store bought shortening? Is it humid where you live. I think the original recipe Sharon posted used 15 tablespoons of coffee creamer plus 3 tablespoons of flavoring but that it way too much for me. I'm usually closer to 12. I usually add 2/3 of my liquid at the early stage and then once the powdered sugar is added then I can see if I need to add more.

MelissaMay Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:00am
post #8 of 8

I am using Sharons recipe. I added 16TBS and then some, because it seemed too dry, after adding the additional liquid it seemed to have air pockets...OOHhh it's so frustrating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%