Rate My Cakes

Decorating By TheBakingNurse Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 3:03am by TheBakingNurse

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:16am
post #1 of 11

Ok so after reading some posts and looking through most of the galleries of cakes on this site I feel that maybe my cakes are not up to par! That being said i have only made the cakes in my gallery plus 3 more that were not picture worthy lol. I have no formal training just watched my mom decorate and always loved anything that involved drawing, sculpting, Ect.

I am just asking for some constructive criticism! If you all don't mind!

10 replies
Fondantlover97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fondantlover97 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:25am
post #2 of 11

By the looks of your cakes you have NOTHING to be ashamed about if you are proud of your cakes then thats all that matters and when it come to baking for family members its the thought that counts! take a look at my single pathetic looking cake i have posted on here!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:34am
post #3 of 11

I don't think its really being fair to yourself to have us "rate" your cakes. Everyone has a learning curve! I think your cakes are great for being self taught and newer at caking, and you will always learn and improve!!!

For instance, look at these cakes of mine.

This one was done in 2006:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/25432

This one was done this year for a local wedding magazine:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1902420

I just post that to say...in 2006 I did my best and my customer liked the cake just fine. But over the years I learned and practiced and tried new things and got better at the regular stuff (like icing cakes smooth, which is one of the hardest but most important things about doing professional looking cakes) and you just learn and grow.

Which is why I say its unfair to "rate"....my early cakes were just fine for where I was in life at that time....and my current cakes are fine for where I am in life now. I hope in 5 more years my cakes will be even better.

Happy caking!

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:45am
post #4 of 11

For where you are at right now, I'd say your cakes are creative and colorful. I agree with kitagrl, you will just keep getting better.

Study the compostitions of cakes you think are great and try to bring some of that into your own creations! thumbs_up.gif

TheBakingNurse Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:03am
post #5 of 11

Thanks everyone! I hope to one day be able do decorate half as good as all of you!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:12am
post #6 of 11

I LOVE looking back at my first cakes! A friend commented recently on my FaceBook that my cakes NOW...sure don't look like one of the first wedding cakes I did. Let me just say...it was SCARY! LOL But, it was free and for a friend and she knew I wasn't a professional. And through the years....I've steadily made progress. Still not professional but happy where I am!

I think your cakes look GREAT! We are our own worst critics some time!

Happy Baking

Beth in KY

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:06am
post #7 of 11

Growing and learning is one of the best parts of becoming a decorator! I too have taught myself everything I know and seeing how far I've come is so rewarding. My friends and family are always telling me how amazing it is to watch my progress. I cant wait to keep getting better icon_smile.gif keep practicing and keep going!

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:27am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I don't think its really being fair to yourself to have us "rate" your cakes. Everyone has a learning curve! I think your cakes are great for being self taught and newer at caking, and you will always learn and improve!!!

For instance, look at these cakes of mine.

This one was done in 2006:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/25432

This one was done this year for a local wedding magazine:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1902420

I just post that to say...in 2006 I did my best and my customer liked the cake just fine. But over the years I learned and practiced and tried new things and got better at the regular stuff (like icing cakes smooth, which is one of the hardest but most important things about doing professional looking cakes) and you just learn and grow.

Which is why I say its unfair to "rate"....my early cakes were just fine for where I was in life at that time....and my current cakes are fine for where I am in life now. I hope in 5 more years my cakes will be even better.

Happy caking!

Perfect answer Kitagrl and so true. When I made my brother's wedding cake in '99 I was so proud and thrilled with the cake, my brother and sister-in-law loved it, everyone loved it....and it was full of spatula marks, uneven borders and it leaned a little bit too! but at the time, that was my skill level and as long as you keep at it, your skills will improve with time...promise!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 7:56am
post #9 of 11

You cakes are very nice. Kitagrl is right
The first time I made cupcakes my family wawed & oooed & kept on asking me: how did you make these lol they really hardly ever saw decorated cupcakes ( in my pics the pink & black)
Now 9 months later I always get: your best work yet!
I am also a self taught baker. All I can say is practice makes perfect thumbs_up.gif

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:38pm
post #10 of 11

I think your cakes look really good but to turn the question around, what do you see wrong with them? Where do you feel you need to improve? If there are certain areas you feel weaker at can you practice those seperately so that next time you do a cake using that technique you will feel more confident about it and your work?

TheBakingNurse Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 3:03am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer353

I think your cakes look really good but to turn the question around, what do you see wrong with them? Where do you feel you need to improve? If there are certain areas you feel weaker at can you practice those seperately so that next time you do a cake using that technique you will feel more confident about it and your work?

Well, stacking and support is a big issue for me...also I look at the neat clean work of most on this site and mine is not nearly that neat or clean lol. We don't have any classes available in town nearest is 75 miles out...and I work full time and have a 10 month old and 4 year old! I love doing cakes! It allows me to be artistic and it's a huge stress reliever I just wish I had more time to practice! Oh and did I mention my dh is a health nut and my kids do not like cake or cookies brownies cupcakes...nothing! I know hard to believe! So I only bake for family and friends...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%