Dumb Questions Galore....

Decorating By lynn1968 Updated 27 Feb 2011 , 5:10pm by CWR41

lynn1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn1968 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 2

my wife and i plan on transitioning part of our existing business into a bakery within a year as time and funds presents themselves. we've done a couple of things that have turned out well enough for first-time efforts. and we've learned a lot from our limited decorating experience, research and advise, but there are still a lot of basic questions i have that, oddly enough, seem to be so basic that no one bothers to mention them it seems.

first, how large is a serving? dumb question, eh? lol. i know the wilton mat thing has it divvied up, but those aren't necessarily the kinds of cakes i'm interested in making, not all the time anyway. is a wedding cake serving smaller?

i should ask my wife this since she does the actual baking, but are scratch cakes inherently denser than box cakes? she makes them from scratch and we've not had a problem. then again, she's not experimented with every flavour out there, either. is there a certain recommended density for sculpted cakes? or can we essentially chill any cake and go to town on it?

am i right in saying that for every two 4"-6" tiers there needs a support base?

stayed tuned for more basic questions. hey, at least i'm already a business owner, so i shouldn't have too many of *those* questions, lol. i just want to be sure that what i'm doing/plan on doing is the 'right' way of going about it, not just what i theorize to be correct and what's happened to work out so far on smaller scale items.

1 reply
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn1968

first, how large is a serving?

The industry standard is 8 cu. in., 2x2x2 or 1x2x4:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn1968

am i right in saying that for every two 4"-6" tiers there needs a support base?

Generally, you need supports for every 4" of cake height.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%