Heart Tux Cookies Help Do You Do These By Hand?

Baking By Brendabeeper Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 5:38pm by infinitsky

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 15

for those of you who have made these heart shaped tux cookies, Please help me with so technic questions. For the bow tie are those done by hand? any shortcuts? suggestions . and the lapel also done by hand ?
I am doing 100 tux and 100 dresses as in sample attached . can I do the lapels and bow ties ahead of time or would they not fit right when added?

for the dress do you cut out fondant in heat shape just smaller then heart shaped for the cookie. So sorry any suggestions and techn help is greatly appreciated. I think I am freaking out about doing these and my mind is making it appear harder?

14 replies
Brendabeeper Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:14am
post #2 of 15

Anyone? still looking for tips on questions above Please and Thank You, and ( fondant sugar on top lol)

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:35am
post #3 of 15

Here's a template for one...scale it down & use it as a pattern to make them the size that you want...
HTH

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/677463

heart shaped:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/677433#next

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 8:56am
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendabeeper

for those of you who have made these heart shaped tux cookies, Please help me with so technic questions. For the bow tie are those done by hand? any shortcuts? suggestions . and the lapel also done by hand ?
Yes - the link platinumlady posted for you shows ezactely what you need to cut out.
Best bet is too cut them all out - let them air dry a bit so as they are firmer to place on your cookies.
That way you won't have any ripp;ing effects.
The bowties you can make ahead of time - allow them to dry and then store away in a box so as not to get dusty or fade in colour.

I am doing 100 tux and 100 dresses as in sample attached . can I do the lapels and bow ties ahead of time or would they not fit right when added?
Yes thts correct - see above thumbs_up.gif

for the dress do you cut out fondant in heat shape just smaller then heart shaped for the cookie. Yes, workout how much of the cookie you want to see and go from there - again - these can be done ahead of time - alloed to air dry and then kept in a box to keep clean and safe.

So sorry any suggestions and techn help is greatly appreciated. I think I am freaking out about doing these and my mind is making it appear harder?

icon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif Sorry couldn't get the BOLD to work for this part of the post
Best bit of advice i can give - remember to pop your tray of cookies in the fridge or freezer for 5-10 minutes prior to baking - that way when you pop them in the hot oven they won't spread. thumbs_up.gif and your fondant shapes will fit much better.

Thats ok - like with anything new - it can seem a bit nerve racking at first - but the sooner you can get a head start the easier it will be in the end.

Have a look at this link and look at what designs suit your needs best - there are many kinds to choose from

Plus it gives you a good view of howmuch smaller to make the hearts for the *dress* heart cookie.
http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&xhr=t&q=wedding+tuxcedo+cookies&cp=17&wrapid=tljp1299142140842026&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1004&bih=618

Bluehue

Brendabeeper Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 15

I can not thank you both enough.... This is exactly what I needed ( besides a sanity pill) ..... your both AWESOME.....Hugs from Nebraska icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 15

lolll your most welcome.
Just saw all my shocking spelling mistakes - i was meant to be racing out the door as i typed my above post - icon_redface.gif

Remember - breath in and out - in and out thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 15

Thank you from ME too! I was thinking of doing these for my son's wedding, but the thought of doing over 200 of them turned me away. I thought it was a lot more difficult, even though it still is, but I thought everything had to be done at the same time. Thank you for clearing all that "ahead of time" tips. And good luck with this!

vickymacd Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 15

A question from me:
I'm assuming you use fondant for the cutouts, but do you all make your own fondant (MMF?) as normal fondant is so gross.

Bluehue Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 15

When doing my decorated biscuits i use Bakels Fondant - and if my customer want themto taste a certain flavour then i add a flavouted oil - just a drop or two per kilo.
I find Bakels is a nice sturdy fondant, shrinkage is less after cutting our my shapes plus the white always stays white - and is a pleasure to work with.

eg - if i have an order for Mauve biscuits i would use Violet oil

When making a mass of biscuits i get as much doe ahead of time as possible -
Then after a few minutes of my biscuits coming out of the oven i give them a very light brush of sugar syrup and then ahdhere the fondant top.

Allow them to settle over night under a food net then bag into little cellophane bags the next morning.

Never had a complaint yet about them tasting or being stale.

I have a few different posts you can see on my blog - icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps you vickymacd.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 15

Thank you for those tips!

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 15

I have a question.

The cookie recipe that I use does not expand that much maybe just 1/8 of an inch. Still I use the same cookie cutter to cut the fondant for covering the whole cookie and I end up with a narrow border (cookie itself) showing around the fondant.

Does any one knows if there is a tip or trick to do to eliminate that border and cover the cookie surface % 100? (Like the Bluehue's Vivienne cookies)

Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:52pm
post #12 of 15

infinitsky - i might be able to help........ lolll

Cut your cookies out th day before and then cover the tray with a sheet of baking paper and then cover the whole tray with glad wrap (saran wran/cling film)

Pop them in the freezer over night.

Next day - put them into your peheated oven.

I have done this and because the cookies are in the freezer overight they do shrink a little - then with going sraight into the hot oven they do not spread.

That is how i did the Viveinne ones in my photos.
Plus the white wedding dress ones.

Hope this is of some help.

Bluehue.

Oh - just another tip - don't roll your fondant to thin as it will shrink in a bit more than ususal.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 3:57pm
post #13 of 15

Best bit of advice i can give - remember to pop your tray of cookies in the fridge or freezer for 5-10 minutes prior to baking - that way when you pop them in the hot oven they won't spread. and your fondant shapes will fit much better.

That's what Bluehue, said in her earlier post.

OOPs, she already answered.

Bluehue Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 4:07pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

Best bit of advice i can give - remember to pop your tray of cookies in the fridge or freezer for 5-10 minutes prior to baking - that way when you pop them in the hot oven they won't spread. and your fondant shapes will fit much better.

That's what Bluehue, said in her earlier post.

OOPs, she already answered.

Lolllll .............snap
Blue. icon_smile.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 5:38pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you both for answering.

I do freeze my cookies before baking, over night or sometimes even more. I will try rolling fondant thicker next time.

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%