Crunchy Buttercream

Baking By bcarb Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 4:58am by bcarb

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:59am
post #1 of 7

Made for the first time BC using 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp Butter flavoring, 4 cups PS.
I had initially refrigerated the cake after frosting it, but then my husband left it out on the counter all day. We live in a cool place. I noticed that the frosting developed a little crunch to it, like the sugar crystalized. Dpes anyone know what I did wrong?
Thanks ahead of time for your help.

6 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 7

It sounds like it crusted.

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 7

My frostings crusts but it doesnt get crunchy, not even after it has been in the fridge, I wonder what happened...

bcarb Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 7

Yes it did crust. Does that mean the entire frosting has a crunch to it though? I'm sure only a baker would notice, but I certainly did.

....crunch...crunch.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:18am
post #5 of 7

It was crunchy all the way through and not just the outer part? How long had it been sitting?

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:56am
post #6 of 7

One time this happened to me but I noticed it before I put it on the cake. I was rushing & just threw all the ingredients in at the same time & just mixed it. Needless to say I did not get everything mixed well enough. There were little bitty balls of icing in the mix & it couldn't be smoothed, couldn't make roses, etc it was a mess icon_sad.gif
I didn't notice them until I added the color & once I put it in the bag to start the roses
I tried to re-beat it in the mixer & that didn't help I ending up throwing it out.

bcarb Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:58am
post #7 of 7

It didn't have balls that weren't mixed in, it was more like the sugar partially crystalized. I think it was throughout the entire frosting, but it was a bit hard to tell. It was still good, but not as smooth as it was initially.
I don't know how long it sat out of the frig, maybe 8 hours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%