Get A Load Of This!!

Lounge By Foxicakes Updated 6 Mar 2011 , 8:14pm by cabecakes

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 1:52am
post #1 of 7

I Googled for a recipe for Orange Dreamsicle cake. Actually, I was looking for the "frosting" that is on one of the cooking/recipe sites. Anyway, this caught my eye [url]http://livefromnoble.blogspot.com/2010/05/orange-dreamsicle-cake[url/]
Its just a blog that this woman did about a dreamsicle cake, but it really bothered me that she didn't give credit to the person who CREATED that recipe. Especially since her comment was that the cake was "GD amazing. Seriously." She just stated that she "found" the recipe, but didn't say where. And, to be quite honest, I wouldn't have known had I not just recently been searching CC for a recipe for this flavor and I recognized it from my research. The recipe was shared on here by Mudpies, but this girl didn't mention her or this site!! And that really ticked me off for some reason. Anyway, I commented on her blog post that the recipe looked like one that was created on Cake Central by the member Mudpies and that it would be nice if she (the blogger) mentioned that fact. Of course, the comment has to be "approved" so I doubt it will ever show up. So, tell me. Am I over reacting?? It's not even MY recipe. But, I think of you ladies and gentlemen as my cake family and I think you should all get credit for your work!

(Sorry, you'll have to "copy and paste" the url from the body of the text. Just copy what is inside the "url" tags... For some reason, I can't get it to take it as a link.)

6 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 2:09am
post #2 of 7

I always give credit where it is due. Always. So I agree with you on this one. Even if she tweaked it slightly, give credit to the originator for the 'inspiration'.

Twinflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twinflower Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 2:16am
post #3 of 7

People have been baking for ever and I doubt that anyone from this generation has actually created any unique recipes. If you google any recipe hundreds of the same thing will come up. Who is to say where it came from first? Also, just because someone posted it does not mean it was theirs. There was an amazing new recipe on CC yesterday for MMF. I looked at it and it was the same recipe that can be found on hundreds of websites. People were giving this person great compliments and no one was giving her a hard time about where this mmf recipe came from.

I have lots of cook books from the late 1800s through the 30s and you would be surprised how many recipes that we all call "new" can be found in those books.

Anyway, how do you know if her mother or friend gave her the recipe? Not everyone that bakes stalks CC.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 2:22am
post #4 of 7

It's Jello, box mix, a can of soda & Cool Whip. That recipe has been around since at least the 70s when I was a kid.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 2:37am
post #5 of 7

She responded to your post. She also amended her post to where she says she got the recipe from.

I think you overreacted because you really don't know where she got the recipe from to start with or if Mudpies posted it on another site either.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 7:03am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by myslady

I think you overreacted because you really don't know where she got the recipe from to start with or if Mudpies posted it on another site either.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Yep. You know the old saying about what happens when you "ass-u-me" things.............

Rae

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 7

I usually try to give credit is due, but sometimes you just don't know if it has been passed from one person to another. I don't really believe there is such a thing as an "originator" of to may recipes anymore. Let's face it...for the most part...it's not rocket science. But I do agree with the original poster that you should at least recognize the person that shared the recipe with everyone in the first place if you know who that person was.

Edited to add: I guess my way of thinking is...If you don't want it to be public knowledge, don't put it out in a public forum. I'm not going to get bent out of shape if I find a recipe I posted on someone's website or blog. In order for them to have it, I had to put it where they could get it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%