Shipping Cupcakes

Baking By cerps Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 5:42am by cerps

cerps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerps Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 5

Hi! I am new to cakecentral and I'm excited to participate in this forum. I have a family member who wants to order a dozen cupcakes for a company party. They are located in another state. Has anyone shipped cupcakes before? What company do you use? I am trying to understand the costs so I can charge appropriately.

Thanks

4 replies
aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 5

i have shipped cupcakes packed with dry ice with UPS.

aces413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aces413 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:43am
post #3 of 5

I just shipped some today using UPS from Delaware to Arlington, VA. They aren't travelling too far, so I'm thinking they should be decent when they get there....but I've done it before (with USPS) and they were smashed. So, we'll see. It cost me $11.61 for UPS ground, and it will be delivered by the end of the day tomorrow. It costs more than USPS, but USPS was slower (in my previous attempt).

aprilismaius--how much does your dry ice cost? and do you ship in insulated containers? I've been using those reusable ice packs in my shipments and of course, they melt quite a bit, so they aren't keeping my cupcakes frozen.

I'm not certain that shipping cupcakes is worth it though...if you're shipping far (like east to west coast), then you need to use 2-day shipping, which often costs more than the cupcakes themselves...plus you're paying for ice, packaging, etc...

AmyBee89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBee89 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 1:17am
post #4 of 5

I had reasonable success paying for two day shipping and building a little grid out of a sheet of Styrofoam and using skewers two ways to hold them in-- they mauled the cupcakes a bit, though, and between the time putting the thing together (hours) and the money on Styrofoam, shipping, skewers... not worth it, even for a dear friend's birthday.

cerps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerps Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 5:42am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the insights!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%