Painting Fondant Pearls

Decorating By sugardugar Updated 2 Jun 2014 , 9:45pm by dtcrum

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 6

I have made an array of fondant pearls (from, say 2mm to umm an inch high) and want to add some shine - luster dust shine to some, and my gold edible paint to others.

How the heck do I do this?! I don't have any clear liqour so I'd use extract...I get that (for the colours where I only have dust and not paint). But how do I execute?

If I hold each ball, part of it won't get coloured, and what a mess!

How does one do this? Thanks!

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 6

in one of nick lodge's dvd, he puts the pearls in a plastic bag, puts some pearl dust or white sparkle dust(sparkle dust is what he is showing) and then a few drops of vodka(or everclear,etc) close bag. shake bag, then pour out onto a dish or something. works beautifully.hth some people just put them in a plastic bowl, put pearl dust over them, put lid on and shake bowl nicely. this is good also. you can do colored dust the same way(the last way i told)

robbemorka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbemorka Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 6

For the lusterdust: you just put the dried balls into a small box with a lid. Add lusterdust and shake gently.
For the painting: what about arranging them already on the cake and then painting them? that should be a lot easier to handle...

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 6

I usually put the pearls in a ziploc sandwich or snack bag, then add the dry luster dust and shake. This gives the pearls an even coating.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 6

thanks!

i suck at painting, im soooo afraid i'll get paint on my cake if i try painting post application icon_sad.gif

dtcrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtcrum Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 6

I've always bought mine, but had a niece that wanted a "soft color" of gold and

silver for a vintage look of her sugar pearls on her cupcakes for her wedding.

After many hours of researching and such, I was super excited to find that

you can put them in a bowl.....I used a plastic, like 3-4 inch side mixing bowl,

put my plain white sugar pearls in it (super easy to find). I did both 4 mm and 6mm

pearls.  If you airbrush, just take your soft gold and air brush them to the color you want,

wait a few min. to dry....roll around to get another side....air brush again...etc. 

I'm really excited! Now I can do sugar pearls to match anything....because I can

air brush them any color I want....super easy and goes really fast.

(When they dry...they seem to stick together....just swirl them...and they come

apart.   They you can put them in any container to keep! Keeps just like regular

sugar pearls!

If you DONT have an airbrush.....I've heard using a baggie, putting your pearls

in there with luster dust and a little but of vodka (alcohol) and shaking gently works....

but you'd better look up  a video on that one.

Good luck! We can always learn new stuff!

TC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%