Buttercream Cakes

Decorating By cowie Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 2:45am by cowie

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 5

How long can you leave a cake covered in buttercream icing out? I have a few people asking me for cakes this week all to be picked up the same day but won't have enough room in my fridge for them all.

4 replies
beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 5

I don't refigerate my buttercream cakes. The only time I would is if there was a perishable filling or smbc ect. I would bake on wednesday or thursday and and decorate. the cakes are picked up Friday or Sat.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 5

It's not so much the buttercream but the filling (if you did torte and fill?) if it is perishable when not refrigerated. I just had a scratch chocolate cake with buttercream filling and frosting on my counter for 5 days and it tasted better every night. (I was testing my choc.cake). As long as the room is a/c (average 75) you'll have no problem. If decorating a few days ahead just be careful with dark colors and the brightness in the room,some tend to fade. Sturdy cake boards are a must once the buttercream crusts it can crack if the board flexes. Good Luck

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesnglass

I just had a scratch chocolate cake with buttercream filling and frosting on my counter for 5 days and it tasted better every night.

I agree... some cakes taste better on day 4 or 5--more moist after being sealed under buttercream.

At around two weeks, the cake inside will start to grow mold from the moisture.

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:45am
post #5 of 5

Great to know! I have always thrown them in the fridge right away afraid they would go bad. Now I know I don't have to. The cakes I will be doing will have a buttercream filling so that should be okay. I remember having a cake out on the counter that I decorated in one of the classes and we didn't get to it until after a week or so and I took a bite and it was NASTY! I think it was formented or something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%