This Fondx...kinda Stinks!

Decorating By buttercuppie Updated 27 Feb 2011 , 4:15am by lilmissbakesalot

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 13

Okay...I decided to give Fondx a try...always nice to have a backup just in case. I got the elite "sexy pink". First of all it tastes terrible! And there's this crazy smell. icon_confused.gif

Did I just get a bad batch or is this the norm...

...either way I think I'll stick with my Massa and occasional Satin Ice.

12 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 13

I've never used the colors, but I love Fondex white fondant. It doesn't taste bad or smell bad. It smells better than Satin Ice actually.

If you normally use Massa though I don't think anything will stack up... LOL. Massa is great to work with.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 13

I haven't tried the Elite, yet, but I've heard other complaints because it's described as "Vanilla with White Chocolate & Raspberry flavor"--all of the colors, not just white.

I honestly can't figure out why they'd make such a goofy flavor combo......it doesn't exactly "go" with every cake flavor.....

I think I may try it on some sugar cookies and then use the rest for modeling.

Rae

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 13

I use Elite, it's works great. The taste is ok, not as good as Fondarific, but not horrible, I have never noticed a bad smell. icon_smile.gif

lilmissbakesalot Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 13

Oh no kidding... whicte chocolate raspberry?? That truly is an odd flavor to make it. I guess I'm glad I didn't buy a bunch last time CalJava had a sale.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 13

I always wondered about Elite as I noticed the cake store by me,,just starting carrying it like it's new and so does anybody else know about "elite" Just wondering

Massa?? Never heard of it..where is that best to buy financially and what's that fondant about?

Thanks!

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 12:59am
post #7 of 13

Massa is top shelf when it comes to fondant (in my opinion). I buy mine through food purveyors but I also believe that you can buy it through Albert Uster. I'll admit it's definitely on the expensive side but it's one of those cases of you pay more for something because you know it works everytime and won't give you any problems. It withstands humidity very well (the tropical brand) and just has a nice overall finish. I do have problems sometimes with deep colors like purple and pink (red and black are fine) so that's whey I usually bring in Satin Ice if necessary.

HTH

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 1:10am
post #8 of 13

Jenscreativity I actually love the elite fondant and I've had people tell me that they hate the taste of fondant but like the elite and fondx. I've never had problems with flavor combinations between my fondant and cake but then again I haven't tried anything like a butter pecan cake or anything like that so it may not work then.

jenscreativity Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 2:06am
post #9 of 13

Ok,,I want to get the plain white/ivory,,so that has a taste of white choc. raspberry? I'm not sure of that combo just for those plain colors..does it really taste ok? I want to make sure i don't waste my money. Thanks

SweetSouthernBakery Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 2:17am
post #10 of 13

Jenscreativity the white fondx does not have the white choc. raspberry taste only the colored elite fondant has that. I'm not sure about the ivory though.

jenscreativity Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 2:26am
post #11 of 13

ok great..so I"m taking the white one has a van. taste only then? I saw on the website to buy this and it stated the rasp. flavor under the white/ivory along with colored ones,,so that is where I saw it.

Thank you

SweetSouthernBakery Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 2:42am
post #12 of 13

Jenscreativity you might try going to your supply store and asking if they will let you taste the fondx and elite. I know that the supply store that I go to offers tastings so it might be something to consider.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:15am
post #13 of 13

I buy the regular old white (and ivory too) Fondex in the 10# buckets and it is just very mildly vanilla flavored. I think just the ones marked Elite have the different flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%