Ideas For Cupcakes - 2Nd Birthday For A Boy

Decorating By Bskinne Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 9:25pm by Bskinne

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 7

For some reason, I am neither motivated or inspired for cupcake ideas for my son's 2nd birthday. His bday was yesterday, and me, DH and little one celebrated with our best friends and their son. Exactly how I wanted it, since last year we went WAAAAAAAAAY overboard for the 1 year party. However, I now feel guilty and am doing a small, informal playground gathering for some of our friends (will be a mix of adults and babies/toddlers) and sticking to serving snacks like chips or something. However, since I normally do extravagent cakes for everyone, I feel bad if I don't do something cool. (I had originally planned, drawn, and designed an elaborate Thomas cake for him, but I think that is what made me change my idea on a party in the first place, it was going to be very time consuming and expensive.)
So, now I'm thinking cupcakes, but I am not much of a planner when it comes to small stuff. My son likes Thomas, but I don't want to do a bunch of the faces on a cupcake, because although it is cute, it's a little overdone. He also likes Blue's clues, so I thought about doing the little pawprints, but again, not in love with the idea. I don't even care about staying with the Thomas or Blue idea, they can just be cute cupcakes for a boy. Anyone have any ideas of inspiration they want to send this way? I am so uninspired that I've just been searching "birthday cupcakes" hoping to run across something cute.
The other issue I was having was with the flavor. I want to make a toasted marshmallow icing for the top, and found a recipe to try, but it will be toasted on top, which may limit my decorating options....If I found something I loved but had to give up the icing, I guess I could., but I'd like to keep it.

6 replies
miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 7

icon_biggrin.gif Go into Google in image and put an idea there and you'll see Pic and go from there....You can get ideas from seeing different Pic. Good luck...

Bskinne Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasuzzette

icon_biggrin.gif Go into Google in image and put an idea there and you'll see Pic and go from there....You can get ideas from seeing different Pic. Good luck...

Thanks, but I've already done that. I'm not too much of an idiot on the computer, just uninspired by what I've seen. Let me rephrase my long paragraph for anyone who might want to help - anyone have any super cute, creative boy birthday cupcakes that they have done or saved in their faves? Any theme is fine.

sweets4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweets4you Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 7

I haven't done much cupcakes, but I did some cupcakes for my friend's son's birthday. He loves to eat so my friend asked me to make some cupcakes with a variety of his favorite foods on them.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1520606

Another populate theme is animal cupcakes.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cutelittlecupcakes/5377085381/

Or sports-themed cupcakes?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/perfect_cakes/3340217697/

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 7

What about Puffles cupcakes? Cute, lots of bright colours and pretty easy.

Bskinne Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the links! That Toy Story one is so cute. Ugh, I don't know why I am so stumped. I think some people are cupcake people, and some are cake, and I am a cake person! I feel so limited on this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%