Flying Car???

Decorating By kmdrysdale Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 6:50pm by DianeLM

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a dodge charger cake for a 65th birthday. My father in law had one when he was younger and loves them. Well to the question:

I am making a cake with a off road theme and was going to make a fondant/ Gumpaste car but i wanted to put this car flying over a hill. Is this possible??

I was thinking of building a wire support on an angle so the tail end would be straight into the cake but the car would look like it is kinda jumping off the hill.
and then doing the hill in a RKT so the wires do not rip the cake.

Would this work?? Any tips? Would you do it any other way?

Edited to say I really hope you understand what i have in my head lol I am not the best with emails

2 replies
kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 3

Just bumping the post up again

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 3

The general idea is good, but I'd suggest you change a few things.

First, your wire support will need to be VERY sturdy to hold a gumpaste car. Check out the aluminum dowels at the home improvement store.

You don't need to make the hill out of RKT. If you anchor your wire support to the base board, you can surround it with cake. One way to do this would be to cut a hole in your base board and glue a piece of plastic dowel, shorter than the cake, in the hole. Fill the hole with fondant or gumpaste. Wrap your wire with sticky floral tape and insert into the gumpaste-filled dowel. Once dry, that sucker ain't going anywhere.

I like to double up 1/2-inch foamboard for applications like this. If you don't like the look of a one-inch thick base board, cut one of the boards a couple of inches shorter all the way around and glue it to the bigger board to act as a pedestal. It will also make lifting and moving the cake a lot easier.

Oooo I just had an idea. How about, instead of the back of the car touching the cake, add some exhaust smoke to the back of your car and have that touching the cake. That way, it will look like the whole car is flying!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%