Dividing A Cake Mix

Baking By Erica_W Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 4:32pm by SugarFrosted

Erica_W Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erica_W Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 4

Hi All!
I would love to try some new recipes with a WASC base, but don't want to have a ton of cake leftover. I woudl just need enough for maybe an 8" cake or 2 so that I can test the flavors.
I know that I can half the recipe by just using 1 cake mix, but could I quarter it by just using half a box and saving the rest for another cake? Or would that mess up the porportions of the mix ingriedients?
If it's not possible to divide the mix, could I freeze the leftover batter? How long?
Thanks!

3 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:28am
post #2 of 4

Yes, you can make half a recipe with one box of mix. You could probably make less if you are VERY careful calculating the portions of each ingredient. A full recipe (2 mixes) makes about 14 cups of batter if I remember correctly, so about 7 cups per mix. (One box of mix, without all the extra stuff, makes about 4-5 cups batter depending on brand, and will fill two 8" rounds.) So figure out how much you need of all the ingredients to make as much cake as you want.

You will wish you had made more after you taste it. icon_biggrin.gif

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 4

When I want to make several flavors I make one batch of WASC then separate it into several bowls and flavor each bowl separately, I either use LorAnn extracts or mix-ins (nuts, fruit, oreo cookies, etc.) This works great for making cupcakes when I want to try flavors but don't want an entire batch.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by moranda

When I want to make several flavors I make one batch of WASC then separate it into several bowls and flavor each bowl separately, I either use LorAnn extracts or mix-ins (nuts, fruit, oreo cookies, etc.) This works great for making cupcakes when I want to try flavors but don't want an entire batch.

That is a MUCH better idea than mine. thumbs_up.gif

Dividing the mix and calculating all the ingredient portions is a pain. thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%