Golf Ball Cake?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 9:13pm by SnowBabe

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 10

Hey guys,

I need suggestions, help, anything!

I have a 3 tier cake in a few months (large golf ball on top).... trying to plan out the best way to do this. I will also need to trave a couple hours with the cake, so i am worried about stability.

Would you make the ball out of cake or would your recommend styro?

Anyone know how to cover a golf ball cake in fondant? At least i assume this what they did (see below)

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!

9 replies
Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 10

I do know that wilton makes a large ball pan that you could use for cake and than cover it in fondant, gives directions for many types of athletic balls, but me personall would probably do it in RKT covered in fondant. 1) becasue of the dynamics of what your tring to do and than the other is the trip you have to take. I would also probably only travel with 2 tiers and put the third on there and than top it off with the golf ball at the venue. HTH Happy Baking and posty pictures icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 10

here is a tutorial on a golf ball cake. hth she did a great job. i would travel with it in a box. put on at the venue.

http://www.jenny-cakes.com/3dgallerydetail.html

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 10

heres another tutorial. this is helping me also.lol!!!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5851905_cover-ball-shape-fondant.html

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 12:17am
post #5 of 10

May be easier to do just a 1/2 a ball on top...I did with the grooms cake I made (its in my pics). That might be easier than covering the entire thing!

Good luck and can't wait to see some pics thumbs_up.gif

mistypup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistypup Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 12:44am
post #6 of 10

Since you have to travel a distance, another suggestion would be to do a 1/2 & 1/2 sphere - - - with the bottom 1/2 styrofoam (for stability/support) and the top 1/2 as sculpted cake. This way they can still cut into the top of the cake.

CiNoRi Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks guys! Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this... I'm getting closer to doing the cake so now im really planning.

I like your ideas of using styro...has anyone seen a video where they cover a ball shape (cake or styro)?
I can see doing it in halves... but its those pesky seams im worried about!

SnowBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnowBabe Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 4:10am
post #8 of 10

I am doing this cake icon_smile.gif mine is going to be 2 tiers with a ball on top.

i am baking the ball with cake and covering it with fondant

CiNoRi Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 4:14am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBabe

I am doing this cake icon_smile.gif mine is going to be 2 tiers with a ball on top.

i am baking the ball with cake and covering it with fondant

Mine ended up turning out nicely check it out in my gallery icon_smile.gif

SnowBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnowBabe Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 10

i made a gold ball cake and it was amazingly easy!! i used Marsh. Fond. & used sturdy cake. everyone was so impressed with how i did it icon_smile.gif more photo's to come

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%