Cake Buldging/filling

Decorating By Jody130 Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 7:55pm by Jody130

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 4

Quick question, I noticed last nite when i was frosting my cakes (making two tier) that I had some buldging on the sides of the cake, am i putting too much frosting between the layers that is causing this??? and does everyone just frost between the layers (a 2 layer) or do you cut each in half and frost between all?? icon_confused.gif

3 replies
djdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djdesigns Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 4
Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 4

It depends on which pan size I am using, and how tall I want my cake. If I'm baking in 2-2" tall pans I will fill between those, if I am baking in 1-3" pan I will torte and fill that. Then again, if I want a taller cake or just more layers I will torte whichever.

I always put a stiff dam when I fill, and I also cut the cake sides if they are rounded (bulging) out. Also I make sure after I've filled the cakes to let them settle for several hours and sometimes overnight depending on my schedule. Leah has a technique where she uses a square tile on top of her cake to speed the settling process.

Make sure also that the bottom of your cake is flat; if it's not leveled it can cause a slight bulge.

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks ladies for your help!!
I greatly appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%