Slipped And Fell With Cake At Front Door Of Delivery!!!!!

Decorating By Terri66 Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 3:17am by thecakeblog

Terri66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri66 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 28

I have to say, this was my prettiest cake so far...I am a new decorator and worked 2 days on this one...a pretty violet "teapot" cake and all its accessories for my 88 year old Granny's birthday.

My job was to bring the cake for 20-25 people. I was sooo proud of it..it turned out beautifully...I took pictures at home of it sitting on my piano and when it was time, my husband carefully carried it down icy steps and laid it in the back of the SUV. Ten minute drive to the restaurant...10 minutes before everyone was to arrive there and Nanny Taylor, the guest of honour.

Well, my husband let me out of the vehicle 10 feet from the front door of the restaurant...he asked if I needed help to get inside....Nope.....words I would live to regret!!! Ha ha....got to the front door, reached out for the "automatic" door opener...and WHAMMMMM! Down on my hands and knees....my beautiful cake...facedown on the ice and dirty pavement.

I lay there...covered in violet icing in shock...looking at my cakeboard bottom...I started to cry....and cry ...and cry....and cry...not because of my two bleeding knees....nooooo, my beautiful teapot cake was ruined!!!! The staff was super nice about the whole thing...buying a replacement cake...but I just felt terrible...Sad for my Nanna...who was sooo looking forward to seeing my hard work.

LESSON LEARNED - always take pictures before leaving the house of my cakes/work.....LET my husband carry the cake!!!!

27 replies
Chala86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chala86 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 28

OH NO! What a disaster! Sorry to hear about this. I thin I would react in the same way - by crying and crying and crying after spending 2 days. At least now you know it's best to let your husband carry the cake and hopefully it won't happen again.

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 28

So sorry to hear this happened! Sending virtual hugs!

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 28

So sorry that happened to you. I know how you feel... Mine fell while I was still at home & I didn't have time to cry cause I knew this young lady's birthday was that day..& I whipped up another & got it finished in 12 hrs...but it normally takes 3 days to finish. Since it was a rush job I gave her half her money back...I was to be a Tiffany blue box cake with 50 matching cupcakes...I was only able to do the cake & 12 of the cupcakes...was an hour late delivering it Everyone liked it but I could spot all the imperfections on the cake.

I'm sure your Granny understood. I hope you're okay as well

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 28

Oh no! I am so sorry! I would cry too!

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 28

Oh you poor thing!! These cakes are like our babies and when something bad happens to them it really breaks your heart!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 28

So sorry this happened to you, but I don't trust my husband to carry the cake either. He always puts his finger in it, I mean every time, don't know why, but he does. Its kind of our joke now, so I usually carry the cake. Just have your husband open doors for you.

I know you must have been so devistated after putting in so much work, I always visualize me dropping the cake, hasn't happened yet to me, but have had 3 people delivering their own cake that I have made, smashing the cake from careless driving, its always so upsetting.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 28

omgosh! I"m sooo so sorry this happened to you..I would be crying too. Definetly a lesson learned..for me too, b/c I get so independent sometimes when my hubby offers to help..so I will know for now on, take the help..

Did you have the pic of cake to show us?

Sweetestdreamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetestdreamcakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 28

I would've been a massive puddle on the steps....

Terri66 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:15am
post #10 of 28

I am not sure how to post my photo...but if you go into my photos on this forum...its the pretty violet teapot set

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:32am
post #11 of 28

i am also sorry this happened to you . My husband is very careful with my cakes. He has been helping me with that part for 16 yrs. He knows how i like for him to hold and carry them. He is my biggest supporter.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:42am
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

So sorry this happened to you, but I don't trust my husband to carry the cake either. He always puts his finger in it, I mean every time, don't know why, but he does. Its kind of our joke now, so I usually carry the cake. Just have your husband open doors for you.

I know you must have been so devistated after putting in so much work, I always visualize me dropping the cake, hasn't happened yet to me, but have had 3 people delivering their own cake that I have made, smashing the cake from careless driving, its always so upsetting.

My husband is usually great about carrying my cakes but occasionally he sticks a finger in it too. What's with that?!?! The one time he did it, he put his finger in a cake that was iced white with black scrolling! Worse, he tried to fix it! And he can't pipe worth a flip! Oh well. haha.

I'm SO sorry for the OP. icon_sad.gif

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:43am
post #13 of 28

Every cakers worse nightmare. I'm soooo sorry that happened. My heart breaks for you icon_sad.gif

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:07am
post #14 of 28

oh no I can't imagine,I feel so sorry that happened to you. I'm sure your cake was marvolous.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:09am
post #15 of 28

Thanks for posting your pic..very lovely yet sad story..at least you can show your nana the cake pic on what you had done for her..she will be so proud of you..keep up the good work.!

bohemiagetsajob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemiagetsajob Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:44am
post #16 of 28

This is heartwrenching. Further proof that it is definitely NOT JUST CAKE.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:02am
post #17 of 28

Bless your heart! So sorry this happened!! I always have my husband carry cakes, because I promise you this exact thing would happen to me!

Terri66 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:39pm
post #18 of 28

Ahhhh thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement!! You are all F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S !!! XOXO

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 6:39am
post #19 of 28

Sorry that happened to you. That is one of my greatest fears that one of my cakes will end up on the ground belly up so to speak. When you work so hard on a cake you want others to enjoy it.
Again so sorry.

CupcakeCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeCrumbs Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 2:31pm
post #20 of 28

I would have cried too!

I won't let anyone else carry my cakes though, if I drop it it's my fault, but if someone else dropped it they'd feel so bad, and I would never forgive them lol!! (I would really but I'm not sure it's fiat to put that much pressure on anyone else icon_smile.gif )

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:59am
post #21 of 28

Oh my goodness! It is such a beautiful cake! I would have been devistated! Glad you're ok though!

LadyCakes98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyCakes98 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:03pm
post #22 of 28

icon_cry.gif that just made ME cry!
I just couldn't imagine!! I've had
some close calls, but ohmy, you
must have just been in shock!
You have that ONE time done with
now, so you're good to go now icon_wink.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 12:40am
post #23 of 28

So very sorry to hear that. I hope your knees are better and I'm sure the recipient understood....wow, that's sad!
I've always found it to be really the "last step" when delivering a cake....before taking the cake out of the vehicle, walk the walk! I walk all the way into the venue. Without the cake. Remove any obstacles or whathaveyou. THEN go get the cake and bring it in icon_biggrin.gif Even so, STILL you may have to watch for fast-trotting servers icon_wink.gif (I almost T-boned a server with a 1/2-sheet, double-layer and torted cake.)

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:06pm
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

My husband is usually great about carrying my cakes but occasionally he sticks a finger in it too. What's with that?!?! The one time he did it, he put his finger in a cake that was iced white with black scrolling! Worse, he tried to fix it! And he can't pipe worth a flip! Oh well. haha.

I'm SO sorry for the OP. icon_sad.gif

hahahahahahaa! i can't even imagine my husband trying to fix it in the same situation. actually, i can and it is scary.....

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 10:07pm
post #25 of 28

the most stressful time for me of the whole cake process is delivery. i HATE that part. so much can go wrong.

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:11pm
post #26 of 28

That is so sad! I would have just sat there crying.

mistresslucille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistresslucille Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 6:21pm
post #27 of 28

Oh goodness, poor you, I would have cried buckets! My boyfriend is officially my 'delivery driver' because I know how clumsy I am icon_wink.gif A few weeks ago I did an 8-inch cube cake for a client and didn't take into account how heavy it would be... VERY nearly dropped it on the kitchen floor, eek!

thecakeblog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeblog Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:17am
post #28 of 28

Oh no, that is my worst nightmare! Hugs to you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%