Where Did You Learn To Decorate

Decorating By sweetie629 Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 4:17am by sweetie629

sweetie629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie629 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 13

Hi I am a beginner decorater, I've taken all three of Wilton's courses and am ready to further my training, however I don't know where. Can any of you share your training and how you got started as a cake decorator. Do you think the training I've had so far is enough to get started making cakes from home? Thanks for any advice

12 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 13

That's how I started. What do you want to learn? There are lots of techniques out there and then some. I suggest you look at various cakes and whatever rocks your world, see what techniques are used on them. For example gumpaste flowers -- is that something you want to get into? If so, start looking for books and videos and asking lots of questions. Then try a few gumpaste recipes to see which ones you like. Then practice, practice, practice!! And most of all, have fun with it!! icon_biggrin.gif

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 13

I'm mostly self-taught. The techniques I've learned I've either found right here on CC, seen on tv shows like Cake Boss or Food Network Challenge or I google them. I'm no pro, by any means, and I still have a lot of learning to do, but I think I do okay.

If you've taken the classes, I don't know what else you'd need other than practice, practice, practice!! If you don't have orders or reasons to make a cake - make up a reason! Bring a cake to work, donate one to a local shelter/fire dept/charity - anything to make a practice cake! If you ever need help with a new technique (or an old one) then just ask - there are so many helpful people here on CC!!

Good luck and be sure to post pictures of all your cakes!!

cupcakefrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manderly42

I'm mostly self-taught. The techniques I've learned I've either found right here on CC, seen on tv shows like or Food Network Challenge or I google them. I'm no pro, by any means, and I still have a lot of learning to do, but I think I do okay.

If you've taken the classes, I don't know what else you'd need other than practice, practice, practice!! If you don't have orders or reasons to make a cake - make up a reason! Bring a cake to work, donate one to a local shelter/fire dept/charity - anything to make a practice cake! If you ever need help with a new technique (or an old one) then just ask - there are so many helpful people here on CC!!

Good luck and be sure to post pictures of all your cakes!!

Ditto! You can also find lots of videos on youtube and ehow. They'll teach you pretty much anything you want to learn, and the best part is you can rewind and play it again and again and again icon_smile.gif.

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 13

I'm self taught, with help from books, videos, and a lot of (sometimes misplaced) self confidence. Try, fail, repeat. Try, fail, repeat. I'm pretty sure I've figured out a thousand ways to bake, fill, stack and decorate a cake badly!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 13

I took the wilton courses 16 yrs. ago. Haven,t looked back. Never knew there was so much to learn. Had a wonderful teacher, She told us about ICES, Nick Lodge, Mercedes,Frances Kuyper, etc. I take some kind of classes every year, plus go to the convention. Toba Garret classes are great also. I have a friend and we go together. I have invested in dvd's and books from all famous people. Took Earlene Moores class, great class. I try to keep up with everything that is out there. Not that i get to do it all the time, but when i am asked if i can do it , i can say yes. hth Just keep practing what you learn and go on from there. I teach at 2 different places and that keeps me in the know and practing.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 13

Check around to see if there are any additional classes in your area. What about a cake club? Any of those in your area?

Where do you live? Almost every state has a state chapter of ICES (www dot ices dot org)

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 13

I'm relatively new a well. I learned through the Wilton's course a well when there was still 4 courses right before they switched to 3... I also became an WMI so I can learn from repetition plus it's fun. So I've also learned from other instructors

I don't have cable at home so I don't get to see all the cake shows

I go on YouTube to learn how to do more techniques. I also read over the tutorials on here. There are a few good DVDs out there that go step by step. But the way I've found that I learn the best by seeing something & try to make it. It doesn't always turn out right but I learn from my mistakes. Trial and error is the best teacher.

I used to make cakes for people whenever they had an event to get more practice in. I'm still not as good as I want to be...but I just keep decoration until I get it right.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:24pm
post #9 of 13

I took wiltons classes also about a year and a half ago I bake for my kids and grandkids i love doing it i just wish i was capable of doing more i watch video and im working on gettin sharons sugershacks videos everone says that they are great but everones right just pratice a lot i must say it is fun. the few cakes i have in my gallerie i think came out ok. i also wish wilton had some extended calsses. when i finished the calsses i wrote to witon and asked, they said that they were thinking of it but if they did do them they would`t start for a couple of years yet, so mean while we`ll just pratices

lilbitacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilbitacake Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:47pm
post #10 of 13

It was a year ago when I took my 4 classed at Micheals right before Wiltons switch to 3 and I had a wounderful teacher. She also has mini classed she offers to help learn, like tall cakes, 3d cakes for examples. The best thing she told us was to practice practice practice and just to experment on new ways of doing cakes ( but on yourself of course).

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 13

I learned from the school of youtube! LOL I learned by trial and error and am still learning so much! I would agree with some that say practice, practice, practice!

justkist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justkist Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:59pm
post #12 of 13

Seems we are all in the same boat to some degree... took the 5 Wilton classes (there used to be 4 plus one advanced special flowers course), retook the 3 when they changed teh curriculum, watched ALOT of Food Network Challenge, Ace of Cakes and YouTube, YouTube, YouTube.

Then of course you get ideas and advice from here and then as others said it is about practice! I would love to take more advacned courses but there is nothing offered here in Ottawa. I actually just traveled to Toronto this month for an INCREDIBLE class with Lauren Kitchens at FLour Confections. i hesitated to register due to costs and travel but now that I have gone I can not WAIT for another similar opportunity. WORTH EVERY PENNY!

So my advice is if you have to chance to take a course with the Lauren Kitchens, Bronwyn Webers, Anne Heaps, Buddy Valastros or other cake gods youve been watching on TV DO IT!!!!!

sweetie629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie629 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:17am
post #13 of 13

Thank You everyone for all the advice, this gives me an avenue as to how much I can do with the classes I've taken. I will be taking a wedding cake decorating course that Michael's is offering here where I live should be fun. I will start making different cakes for different gatherings I attend just so people can see my work and I need to purchase some dvds that show step by step techniques. Good stuff thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%