Keeping Biscuits Fresh For Customers

Baking By Cocobongo Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 8:56am by Cocobongo

Cocobongo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocobongo Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone

I was wondering how the people who send decorated biscuits out, or have large orders keep them fresh. I know they should be stored in an airtight container, but if I want to ship them, they would go in a cardboard box, get sent to arrive the next day etc. There is a time delay and even then, wouldn't necessarily be eaten straight away.

How do the big biscuit companies keep them fresh on the shelves. Is there a preservative that people add that I don't know about?

I was looking at a decorated biscuit website yesterday and it said that they suggest the bisciuts are eaten within 28 days from when they arrive with the customer. How are they doing this?

Can anyone help?

TIA x

5 replies
gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:53am
post #2 of 6

I give my cookies a 2 week shelf life, but they really are fine up to a month or more. They are a butter/sugar cookies decorated with royal icing. I've had some sitting around the house for 4-8 weeks and they still taste fine when kept in air tight packaging.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 6:27am
post #3 of 6

I put each cookie in a cellophane bag and then seal the bag with a food sealer I found at a second hand store. I then wrap each cookie in bubble wrap. From there, I place a piece of bubble wrap in the bottom of a cake bake, stand the cookies up in the box (if possible), and put more bubble wrap in the box as needed. Before I shut the box, I put a business card in there for identification purposes should it get separated from the rest of my packaging.

In a bigger box, I place a layer of crumpled newspaper on the bottom, place the cake box in the bigger box, pack more crumpled newspaper around it and on top of it. Before I seal the box, I toss in another business card.

I seal the box with packing tape- not just down the center but along the top and bottom sides, too. Anywhere that air or damp could enter, I tape it shut.

The cost of the bubble wrap is the second biggest expense. The biggest expense is the cost of shipping the box. I ship it so that it arrives in 2-3 business days. When you ship it, make sure you tell them it's fragile and perishable. They usually ask; but if they don't, tell them.

I don't know where you're located but if there's a Hobby Lobby nearby, snag a 40% off coupon from somewhere and use it to buy bubble wrap. It's $6 here and I can ship 2-3 12X12 shipping boxes with a 10X10 cake box inside with this amount of bubble wrap. The cost of the bubble wrap will cause you to save the bits and pieces that come your way instead of popping the bubbles. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 6

We're spoiled because we get to taste cookies fresh from the oven when they are the BEST. Most sugar cookies have a pretty long shelf life and will still taste good, but never as good as fresh from the oven.

Store-bought cookies aren't fresh from the oven, but they're still mighty tasty. Can you imagine what they must taste like the day they're baked?? Yum!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 6

Don't store bought cookies have preservatives in them?

Cocobongo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocobongo Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 8:56am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all of the replies. Sorry I've been offline for a few days.

So it seems that air tight is the way forward. Do you all use the NFSC recipe that is found on here?

x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%