Cupcake Cake

Baking By joyfullysweet Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 4:21pm by pmarks0

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 12:58am
post #1 of 5

So I've been asked to do a *gasp* Cupcake Cake! I do not want it to look like a wonky cake wreck cake, so I'm enlisting my cakecentral friends and their infinite wisdom, lol.

It is a fairly simple one, a circle with a peace sign on it. But, I want my circle to actually look like a circle! I think I read something way back on here about someone putting cupcake wrappers in a round cake pan, filling the wrappers, then baking. That way you have a nice round top to ice, but they can still be pulled apart. Has anyone done this method before, or remember reading about it and can lead me in the right direction? Or does someone have any suggestions as to how to get a nice, clean circle from the cupcake?

Thanks!

4 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:24am
post #2 of 5

Does the cake have to be perfectly round cake with the peace sign, or can it be a larger, maybe sorta round with the peace sign on it?

When I've made them I baked the cupcakes as normal. I've then placed them on the cake board (I used a little buttercream to "glue" them to the board) placing them as close together to reduce the gaps. I then ice the top of the cake with a thick layer of buttercream smoothing the top.

To get the design on top, if it's a picture (ie colouring book), I'll place parchment paper over the image and use clear piping gel and pipe the outlines of the drawing. I'll then put the parchement with the piping gel on the cake and use a small brush and transfer the piping gel to the cake. This provides the outline for the design. If the picture had words in it, I've printed it out in reverse so that when I do the design transfer, the words are printed out properly. I then "colour" the picture with buttercream.

You could use this method to get your peace sign onto the cake and then just pipe with whatever icing you were going to use for your design. If it's just a black outline, then you can just pipe over the piping gel.

That's how I did this one. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1847008

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:31am
post #3 of 5

I've heard of doing that, but never felt comfortable. If I were to do that, I would depend on those liners that come with the additional silver/foil liner for non-pan baking. I've never used those either. But they've been around a long time, so they must work.

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks! I'm going to do a little experimenting with the cupcakes in a baking pan. If it doesn't work, I'll just squeeze the little suckers as close together as I can in a circle shape and use your method, pmarks0 to transfer the design. I do remember doing that in the first Wilton class (the only one I took, lol). Thanks for your help!

P.S.- pmarks0, love the Halloween cake!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%