TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 1:35pm
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchita

I would love to se a video too of your smoothing technique

I don't have a video yet....but my upside down icing demo uses the same techniques with the bench scraper for the sides....it might help you a bit....the key with a bench scraper is to use a turn table and make a complete turn NON-STOP!

http://cakecentral.com/articles/69/upside-down-icing-technique-for-perfectly-smooth-icing

Of course, you have to have smooth icing to get a smooth cake....if the icing is full of air holes, it will never really get smooth. Read my post on this thread about rebeating in an old fashioned stand mixer.....it's the best method!

Jeff -- If you had a DVD, I would buy it!! Your cakes are incredible! thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 1:41pm
post #32 of 37

You're right, the recipe links are messed up!!!!

My recipe is this (I got it from a guy at a catering place I worked, and then I made a few slight adjustments):

In a 6 qt mixer and a paddle attachment, mix 5 lbs of powdered sugar and 1 1/2 cans of condensed milk until sugar is dissolved. (You will need a pouring shield for this recipe).

Then, beat in 2 lbs of softened unsalted butter and 2 lbs of sweetex. (Can use 3 lbs butter and 1 lb sweetex but I prefer half and half for stability and color). Let mixer run for a good 10-15 minutes.

Add 1-2 more ounces of the milk to smooth out as well as 1-2 tsp of almond flavoring and 4-6 tsp of pure or clear vanilla, or other flavorings to taste. Let mixer run until icing is absolutely smooth. Top will look perfectly smooth with a few mixing ridges.

If you are used to crusting buttercream this recipe WILL be difficult to work with at first as it is quite soft...but looks can be deceiving...it will ice a cake easily and you can pipe borders and scrollwork and even roses if you are careful and its not too warm in the kitchen. It hardens up very well in the fridge due to the high butter/shortening content.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 1:43pm
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchita

I would love to se a video too of your smoothing technique

I don't have a video yet....but my upside down icing demo uses the same techniques with the bench scraper for the sides....it might help you a bit....the key with a bench scraper is to use a turn table and make a complete turn NON-STOP!

http://cakecentral.com/articles/69/upside-down-icing-technique-for-perfectly-smooth-icing

Of course, you have to have smooth icing to get a smooth cake....if the icing is full of air holes, it will never really get smooth. Read my post on this thread about rebeating in an old fashioned stand mixer.....it's the best method!

Jeff -- If you had a DVD, I would buy it!! Your cakes are incredible! thumbs_up.gif

LOL....thanks....might just do one someday!

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:44pm
post #34 of 37

Kitagrl, thank you for the recipe and instructions.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:24pm
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

My recipe is this (I got it from a guy at a catering place I worked, and then I made a few slight adjustments):

In a 6 qt mixer and a paddle attachment, mix 5 lbs of powdered sugar and 1 1/2 cans of condensed milk until sugar is dissolved. (You will need a pouring shield for this recipe).

Then, beat in 2 lbs of softened unsalted butter and 2 lbs of sweetex. (Can use 3 lbs butter and 1 lb sweetex but I prefer half and half for stability and color). Let mixer run for a good 10-15 minutes.

Add 1-2 more ounces of the milk to smooth out as well as 1-2 tsp of almond flavoring and 4-6 tsp of pure or clear vanilla, or other flavorings to taste. Let mixer run until icing is absolutely smooth. Top will look perfectly smooth with a few mixing ridges.

If you are used to crusting buttercream this recipe WILL be difficult to work with at first as it is quite soft...but looks can be deceiving...it will ice a cake easily and you can pipe borders and scrollwork and even roses if you are careful and its not too warm in the kitchen. It hardens up very well in the fridge due to the high butter/shortening content.

Could you tell us how this icing tastes compared to others...is it sweeter because of the sc milk or is it less sweet? Can it be used in the humidity?

SCNYCharlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCNYCharlie Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:19pm
post #36 of 37

You all are awesome! Thanks for all the wonderful tips thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:10pm
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Could you tell us how this icing tastes compared to others...is it sweeter because of the sc milk or is it less sweet? Can it be used in the humidity?

It is definitely less sweet because it has less sugar in it. For instance for a six quart of regular buttercream, I use 8 lbs as compared to the 5 lbs I use in the above recipe.

It is a softer icing though so I don't like it as well during a hot summer...but as long as its kept chilled and a good a/c then its still fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%