Brown Sugar American Buttercream Recipe?

Baking By divinecc Updated 24 Jun 2016 , 4:42am by kas2105

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 16

I have been scouring the internet trying to find a great brown sugar buttercream, mostly all I find is IMBC recipes. Does anyone out there have a tried and true american BC recipe with brown sugar? Also, if you do have one is the texture grainy? I am thinking melting some of the butter and the sugar together until the sugar dissolves, let it cool then cream as usual to help with the grainyness(is that a word icon_lol.gif) ....do you think this would help? Just a thought, any help would be great as I don't have much time to experiment!

15 replies
divinecc Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 16

Anybody? icon_razz.gif

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 16

never heard of such a thing, but I am thinking it would have to be grainy???

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 16

I have a hand-scribbled recipe that I copied from a food blog somewhere....my printer wasn't working at the time--my apologies to the author. I haven't tried the recipe yet, but maybe it will help you.

Brown Sugar Buttercream

3/4 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 cups powdered sugar
3 T. milk, warmed or cream

Cream butter & shortening until fluffy. Add brown sugar to warmed milk (it will partially dissolve) then combine with butter mixture. Add powdered sugar & beat until smooth.

Please let me know how it turns out!!

divinecc Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks! I will let ya know!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 16

Hi, i am glad i seen this thread. I make this b/c using white sugar all the time. Never thought of using brown sugar. I make the brown sugar smbc,etc. Now i am anxious to try this. I love brown sugar anything. I will still look for what you asked also. hth

http://cooklikeyourgrandmother.com/2009/07/how-to-make-brown-sugar-buttercream-frosting/

divinecc Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks!

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 1:56am
post #8 of 16

Hey, Divinecc--
Type brown sugar buttercream into this search--it brings up lots of recipes!!!

http://foodblogsearch.com/

Good luck icon_smile.gif

divinecc Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 16

I have never heard of that blog search! That is a keeper, unfortunately I experimented on my own last night and need to perfect it tonight! I will let you know the results. Thanks

dherringfarms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dherringfarms Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 16

I am also looking for a BC icing that is like a carmel icing. My carmel recipes end up really firm. I need it for Spice cupcakes. Do I add evap milk and brown sugar to the BC? Please help

Elenapurton1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elenapurton1 Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 5:27am
post #11 of 16

Hi there! I may be a bit late but here in the uk we have a golden icing sugar. Have you thought of putting the brown sugar into your blender/coffee grinder? It actually does work! Failing that! Put a teaspoon or so if treacle into your buttercream mix till you get the right flavour.... Done deal, brown sugar buttercream! No different to pre made brown sugar! I make brown sugar at home all the time and NEVER buy it, much cheaper and the same thing!

good luck! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 16

Here in the US we have no idea what 'treacle' is :(  

jjsgrl48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjsgrl48 Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 5:55pm
post #13 of 16

It looks like Treacle is a blend of molasses.

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 6:15pm
post #14 of 16

Hi,this is what wikipedia says treacle is....Treacle is any uncrystallised syrup made during the refining of sugar. The most common forms of treacle are golden syrup, a pale variety, and a darker variety known as black treacle. Black treacle, or molasses, has a distinctively strong, slightly bitter flavour, and a richer colour than golden syrup. 

Makes fantastic gingercake!

Baker Beach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker Beach Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 10:35pm
post #15 of 16

I have used one very similar to the post from icer101 using brown sugar and it is great-- it almost tastes like chocolate chip cookie dough. I just replaced the brown sugar in the same amount and it worked fine. This type of buttercream is my go-to, but it did take some time to get the process down so be patient. I feel like it was worth it. I have so many pregnant friends who were kind of leary of the Swiss or Italian buttercream (because of the eggs) that I decided to try it. Good luck!

kas2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kas2105 Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 4:42am
post #16 of 16

I always make my own brown sugar, too. It's really easy, less expensive than buying it, and tastes better. You just add a tablespoon of molasses to each cup of white sugar, mix it in the mixer or you can do it in a bowl with a fork, but I've actually found that smooshing it together with my hands is faster, and that's it. I would imagine that if you added some molasses to buttercream, it would turn it into brown sugar flavored buttercream. I have to make buttercream tomorrow, I think I'll make a little extra and try adding molasses and see how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%